Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

Just heard there was a large fire in Menemsha Harbor

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Yeah that was 2 days ago, I myself just heard yesterday. I called my father to make sure his friend got his boat out of there, he docks his boat on that side of Menemsha. It was the coast guard station that burned down, I have already PM'd shady grady since I know he works there. Havent heard back but I dont think anyone was hurt. From what I understand that side of the dock is destroyed but the gas dock side is untouched.

View PostWow - glad no one was hurt in all thatfrown.gif

Coan said two area firefighters were treated at Martha's Vineyard Hospital for minor heat-related injuries and were later released, but no boaters or other area residents were injured

Several private boats were heavily damaged and at least one sank into the harbor, said state Fire Marshal Stephen Coan

Drew Smith, an assistant harbor master for Menemsha Harbor, said he saw a small puff of smoke and assumed it was a boat starting up. But that puff quickly turned into blackened clouds. Within 15 minutes flames enveloped the wooden boathouse. "The flames were huge," he said.

Workers from his office and several others tried to move as many boats as possible from the flames. Some boats could be seen floating along the harbor in flames, he said.

"We tried to salvage as much as we could," Smith said. He estimated at least 10 boats suffered heavy damage, with others damaged by smoke.

^^ WOW!!!

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pb...130319/-1/news