Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FisherKid

I dont want to blow it again!!!

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Last year I went down to Treasue Island, Florida on the Gulf Coast in early August.I had a 7' uglystick with a reel with 200 yrds of 20lb line. I surf fished with cut mullet. I took a frozen mullet cut it into 3 pieces and tried putting it on a hook but it seemed to fall of everytime, and when it stayed on i always caught cats.I did end up catching a nice size stingray though. This year I have the same pole but i reel with 300 yrds of 20lb line. I want to do some serious fishin this time. I need all the tips on baits, wats hittin, and any other info. I would also love to catch some small sharks. I will be going up in late July/early August. Thanks!

View PostLast year I went down to Treasue Island, Florida on the Gulf Coast in early August.I had a 7' uglystick with a reel with 200 yrds of 20lb line. I surf fished with cut mullet. I took a frozen mullet cut it into 3 pieces and tried putting it on a hook but it seemed to fall of everytime, and when it stayed on i always caught cats.I did end up catching a nice size stingray though. This year I have the same pole but i reel with 300 yrds of 20lb line. I want to do some serious fishin this time. I need all the tips on baits, wats hittin, and any other info. I would also love to catch some small sharks. I will be going up in late July/early August. Thanks!

Take a 4-5' cast net with you and go to a pass/inlet and look for schools of bait fish. There will be plently of fish (other than cats) around, but you need better bait to catch them and thats where the cast net comes into play. Squid and other frozen baits seem to catch cats 90% of the time in the gulf. Trust me, I learned from a couple wasted trips catching nothing but those darn things.

Live shrimp or mullet. If you have to use frozen mullet get big ones. Cut the head off and step on it until you hear a "pop". Then hook them through the mouth. I'd go with 2 dozen shrimp and a popin cork set up. You'll catch everything smile.gif