Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThatSlyBasstard

Cheap Fishing Kayak?

15 posts in this topic

I'm really low on cash right now and have wanted to get into kayak fishing for a long time. Every kayak I see is 800 dollars and over. Is there ANY that I can find for something a bit cheaper then that that isn't a piece of garbage?

There are lots. Do some research here and on specific kayak fishing sites-many have separate forums for the different manufacturers. Then check local dealers for used and/or leftover models. Try it before you buy it. Good luck.

12' Perception Pescador. Same as the 2008 Wilderness Tarpon 120. $550 at West Marine, if it turns up in one piece. I haven't seen much to match this value for a new kayak in recent times.

JA

View Post12' Perception Pescador. Same as the 2008 Wilderness Tarpon 120. $550 at West Marine, if it turns up in one piece. I haven't seen much to match this value for a new kayak in recent times.

JA

Just got a Perception Caster 12.5 at dicks for $400.. which is the same as a Tarpon 120. I've used it multiple times already and love it

I see no reason at all to buy a 'new' kayak. It will be new to you anyway. Just do some research, maybe take a test drive or two... ask opinions here...you'll be fine. I've bought from people I know, so that made the back story a given. The main thing to look for is sun fade. If a yak is left in the sun it will get brittle. Outdoors is one thing, direct sunlight is quite another.

I personally have an Ocean Kayak Scrambler, and a Scrambler XT at the moment. (I say 'at the moment' because my wife wants a Hobie she can pedal). The XT being my main fishing platform. I got it for $200, with a seat and paddle (an Aqua-Bound Sting Ray...BONUS!). And it's about 6 years old. Plenty of life left, and there are deals like that all over the place. Is it the best fishing platform? Heck no, but it fit my budget, it gets from A to B and back again, and it holds a good bit of gear. Rigged it for fishing very cheaply, you really don't need much to get on the water and fish.

Oh yeah.... don't use 'auction sites' exclusively. The newspaper is always worth looking at, free 'trade publications' are good, ours is called the Thrifty Nickel. Cr***'s List is good, because just cause someone is asking a certain price, doesn't mean it's rock bottom. People love to haggle. And there's always forums. The hardest part is just finding somebody where you live. But if there is a dealer selling new ones, he's also selling used ones.

Hope some of this rant helps ya, see you on the water!

As stated above the Perception yak that Dick's is selling is a good deal. I believe it is the Tarpon hull. We bought one for guests to use but I use it alot. We paid around $400. Its worth checking out.

View PostEven used ones I've seen tend to be a lot. My range is somewhere around $550 and below

Your body size makes a big difference in what size kayak you can get away with. Smaller used kayaks are more numerous and hence are a lot cheaper. Big man yaks are less numerous on the used market and get a higher price.

View PostAs stated above the Perception yak that Dick's is selling is a good deal. I believe it is the Tarpon hull. We bought one for guests to use but I use it alot. We paid around $400. Its worth checking out.

I haven't seen the Caster, but the perception pescador 12 is the same boat as the old tarpon 120 - I confirmed this with Perception, who are the same company as Wilderness Systems. Only trouble I had with the boat was the scupper holes under the seat. An easy fix with plugs.

Jon