Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elohssa6

New to New York Saltwater Fishing

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

I have lived in Rockland County my whole life as LM and SM Bass fisherman. I moved to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina for a year, where i caught the Saltwater bug. I mostly did Pier fishing with my 6-7' Bass set-ups. Most of my fishing consisted of Gotcha' Pluging and using Cut and live Mullet to catch Blues, Spanish Mackeral, Flounder, Drum, Weakfish and the annoying "Ribbon Fish" (i think they are called American Cutlass or something). Now I am back living in New York and back to my old Freshwater routine, but i miss the Salt water. I have never caught a striper but reading and hearing stories makes me want to. I would love to hook into a Bluefish again. I like fly fishing too but also have never done that in Saltwater. My location is close to the hudson river between the TZ and Bear Mountain Bridge and i would like to know how i would go about getting back into some of these fish. Could anyone help me with seasons, bait (setups), locations, ect. Thanks "the new fish"

The 'pier" at Piermont is a good place for you to start. The best time to go fishing is when you go, and therefore the places closest to home are where you start.

IMO Springtime is more productive there, but that may be simply because there are more fishermen. Stripers spawn in the Hudson, among other places, and if you target them, you won't be able to say you "never caught one" for long.

There is an active group of Hudson River Fishermen that can teach you more "spots" (access is as much of an issue as topography). There is also a tackle shop close to the pier that can be an invaluable source of information.

I took my son out fishing after his first day at Kindergarden, and he caught 5 Stripers. That's how hard it is. The next day he caught 3 more. Of course, there was no size to them, but for a Largemouth fisherman, they were all bigger than most LNB in these waters. Sooner or later, you learn to walk away from smaller fish, in search of a COW. "Learn to crawl before you try to walk" is the best advice I can offer.

AMMO