Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stickman

NY ,Oceanside & Jamaica Bay fishing advise

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hi you all,

Coming up from Virginia Beach to sightsee & fish NY to Canada via Hudson River & Lake Champlain any advise & places to see would be appreciated. Will be loaded for just about any species but local knowledge needed. I'll be bring wife & 23" CC Pathfinder ...Note: be arriving 7-30-10

Thanks & I'll do like wise if you all come down SOUTH ...highfive.gif

I hope you mean a 22' (foot) pathfinder. The date of your trip falls on perhaps the worst time to fish those areas, unless you're happy with blues. My only advice would be to head east... thar you will find fish. Later in august you may find some pelagics. But that's much later in the month and the better action is again east.

View PostI hope you mean a 22' (foot) pathfinder. The date of your trip falls on perhaps the worst time to fish those areas, unless you're happy with blues. My only advice would be to head east... thar you will find fish. Later in august you may find some pelagics. But that's much later in the month and the better action is again east.

I think the original poster might be looking more for freshwater places(upstate)?smile.gif

No, it's a 23' Off-shore Pathfinder not flats 22' & I do travel to canyons w/ her : was hoping stripers but blue fish for pullage & release better than nothing, no flounders?? The wife doesn't go off-shore & yes most of the trip will be fresh waters.

Thanks for any input & locations to try...I love stuffed flounder w/ crabmeatdrool.gif

there is not much going on in Jamaica bay there was some nice fish last week on the ocean side but it looks like they moved east what kind of other stuff where you interested in

Champlain has awesome bass,pickeral,and pike fishing.I used to stay at Henrys cabins near Rouses point. He is a tournement bass guy and I'm sure you could google him to stay in a cabin or to put-in.The bass fishing is still hanging tough in Long Island Sound around Mamaroneck,Rye, New Rochelle, and City Island.

Hi Guys,

The Misses & I are coming up to wet a line. Hoping there's something biting, we'll be boat fishing and hoping to find a few Rockfish & Fattie Flatties...I'll post my reports soon..biggrin.gif

From Oceanside you can trailer to the ramp on Atlantic Ave in Freeport, the Town of Hempstead West Marina at Point Lookout for Jones Inlet or the Captree ramp for Fire Island. Don't know about J-Bay but there has to be some ramps because my friends trailer there.

As of last weekend the bass and bunker were east of Moriches.

Fluke are everywhere

I know a lot of the ramps require a sticker to launch.

There were reports that some big fish in the high 40's have been caught off Long Beach trolling Bunker Spoons. You can check out Noreast for reports. Or Bay Park Fishing Station in Island Park.

The Cannon are catching Tuna

There is a ramp in Rockaway right across from the sewage treatment right past the high school on your right side , I would have to say some where in the 100"s in terms of street #.

Long Beach has a ramp as well, it suprisingly too is next to the treatment plant as well. As you are going west on Park ave. Make a right on the street where city hall is, go to the end of that street and you will be there. I think that is open to public with a fee of course.

Good Luck and be safe

We caught a few short flatties along the channels heading in near Staten Island, camped on islands @ Lake George & ran across rock reef on NY side of Lake Champlain which was a "Show stopper" What a beatiful State N.Y. heart.gif it was a great trip & we'll do it again....