Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChocoLab

So I'm at jury duty today...

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Consider yourself lucky. Last time I had jury duty got empaneled, and then sat in the jury room for 3 days, without wifi, while the 2 sides made procedural arguments. Never heard a word of testimony, and they finally released us at the end of the third day. kooky.gif

Oh, there was a TV but it was turned to Jerry Springer and Oprah most of the day. Talk about torturing the jury pool. biggrin.gif

I've had jury duty four times, and each time I was dismissed by noon.frown.gif The last time when the judge came into the room to thank us for our service, I think he could see my displeasure at being sent home, and asked me what was wrong? I told him I always wanted to sit on the jury ion an actual trial, and all four times I struck out.frown.gif

My first time for jury duty was back in '82.

Back then when you got called, you went for one month.

Every day you go, and usually around noon or so they would dismiss you if there were no trials that day.

I did get to sit on 2 trials, and was the foreperson on one.

Now, it's one day or one trial.

Each time since I was dismissed before leaving the jury pool.

I will admit, I like seeing the legal system in action.

It's similar to the glamorized "tv" court scenes, but usually more subdued (unless you happen to get picked for some whacko murder trial).

I always seem to get called days after I'm out of the clear from my last calling.

I make it a point to show up with a few books, portable dvd player and headphones, iPod, etc.

The one thing I forget to bring is something comfortable to sit on.

View PostConsider yourself lucky. Last time I had jury duty got empaneled, and then sat in the jury room for 3 days, without wifi, while the 2 sides made procedural arguments. Never heard a word of testimony, and they finally released us at the end of the third day. kooky.gif

Oh, there was a TV but it was turned to Jerry Springer and Oprah most of the day. Talk about torturing the jury pool. biggrin.gif

Ever heard of a book?

no one was called. one case was continued at a later date, the other settled. 150 or so people were there for 5+ hours and no one had to do anything. was like a stampede when they released us! I may not have made it w/o my trusty laptop and SOL!!!

We've lived at this address for almost 19 years. I'm a registered voter at this address. I've never been called for jury duty. Not once.

Go figure. kooky.gif

View PostI told him I always wanted to sit on the jury ion an actual trial, and all four times I struck out.frown.gif

Consider yourself lucky. You're getting out because you're a judge IIRC (the thinking is you know everyone in the system).

My brother told me to tell them our cousin was a police officer so I did that one time and then was made foreman after the judge asked if it'd affect my judgement confused.gif

Been on 6 cases already...only didn't get added one time. Last case lasted 2 weeks because it had craploads of boring testimony from a gazillion witnesses for a civil improper termination case (Sheriff Cabral getting rid of the former superintendent of the prison system...she got away w/ it because of a technicality). I'm self employed so 2 weeks = no income for me...redface.gif

Really, no $$?

I thought that if you were panaled for a trial, and the trial lasted more than 3 days they would pay you.

If they didn't pay after 3 days, I would "suddenly come down with a contageous sickness and excuse myself.

The one time I was picked for a trial was back in '82

As I stated in an earlierpost, you had to go in every day for a month.

The benefit back then was that they paid you $50.00 a day, and my work ALSO paid me my regular salary as well.

With the current 1 day or 1 trial policy, I can't see why they couldn't pay when you're losing income for 2 weeks?