Wendell

Miller Mack

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Alternate titles include:

Working w/ Color Intensities

If I Never Touch Another Synthetic Hair, It Will Be Too Soon

Trying to Restock the Box

This season's been pretty good and as such, the "big bait box" is getting a little thin. Despite the warm water, I was able to destroy a few this weekend. Plus, last month I just couldn't let my good buddy head back to the Amercian River with out a hand full of the REAL big stuff to swim with the shad. So I had to get back to the vise.

Jim Miller really knows how to tie a fly. His latest stuff is killer. A major departure from my "style" is his use of low intensity colors on the tops (backs) of the bait. I almost always finish a fly with bold, dark saddles over the top. It's not particularly realistic but I like the contrast. His stuff is frequently more mellow over the top of the bait with the major intensity through the middle of the fly. I like that...

-2/0 600SP

-small bit of clear synthetic hair at the bend. Im out of clear yak and I thought I could get away with some synth stuff. It's truely god aweful. I know folks like it (especially the ones that sell it) but just look at. Ugh! Anyways...

-peacock herl on three sides of it

-one chart saddle.

-flash in a loop with clear something chennile palmered over it

-chart yak wing

-two chart saddles tented

-peacock folded and wound

-three clumps of herl on three sides

-two mint grizz saddles tented

-two slate saddles tented

-one mint grizz over the top

-one slate over the top

-switch to black flat waxed

-A particularly nice pair of JCs

I really like the color play between the mint grixx and the slate saddles. I'm hoping that when the two colors start covering/ uncovering each other in the current it will really provide the illusion of life.

DSC01161.JPG

DSC01157.JPG

DSC01158.JPG

DSC01170.JPG

Looking good!

Let us know how it fishes. How color interacts and how color interacts with a foil like grizz are interesting thoughts. I've always like blue & grey and yellow and grey....very fishy....

Ohhh and BTW.... I'm going to need some school'n on this winding herl technique....my certainly does not look like the "masters" work! confused.gif

Ha! We're all just stumbling around behind the wake of Mr. Nelson's mind and hands.

View PostLooking good!

Let us know how it fishes. How color interacts and how color interacts with a foil like grizz are interesting thoughts. I've always like blue & grey and yellow and grey....very fishy....

Ohhh and BTW.... I'm going to need some school'n on this winding herl technique....my certainly does not look like the "masters" work! confused.gif

Primo!! Great colors.

I am curious to know how the syn. works out for you. I've tried to mix the two, as you have here, in the past but have never been thrilled with the outcome. The materials have different fluid movements that just didn't jive for me in real life applications. Let me know what you think after you test this one out a bit.