Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hannibal

Trolling: Penn 330 GT2 vs Penn 3/0 114

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Penn 330 GT2: 30lb/330 yds mono. 16lb max drag.

or

Penn Special Senator: 113H2 (4/0): 30lb/440 yds mono. 20lb max drag.

Looking to equip my "new" (new to me) boat with a decent/basic trolling setup. Looking for versitility as I plan on doing some trolling in the Ches. Bay for stripers but eventually would like to venture out into inshore waters where I can possibly do some bottom fishing for biggers species.

I've had great luck in the past with Penn reels (own several 525 Mags, Senators (sharking reels) and SSM's (550-950) so I am comfortable with their products.

Both reels have been recommended to me. I own some heavier Special Senators (6/0 and 9/0) and they are built strong. I am LEANING towards going back with the Special Senators but wanted some input.

I like their line capacity advantage, drag ratings, etc. Their construction is relatively simple making for easy cleaning and I think they SHOULD be more versitile due to their capacity.

I am open to other options but the two above are offered at about the same price and I don't want to venture too far from that.

Looking to pick up between 4-6 with matching ~6'6" rods.

Oh yeah ........... roller tips or standard tips on the rods? Is there a reason/benifit for the difference?

Thanks in advance.

For trolling you want the Penn 113H2SP. This reel differs from the other 113 models in that it has a bronze spool as opposed to aluminum. Bronze is what you want if you're going with wire line, which is the recommended method to get your lures down where the stripers position themselves.

This reel is the tried and true standard for trolling.

Wire line? Don't get me wrong, I've heard of it but not for fishing for stripers in the Bay. Then again, it's all new to me (I am a surf/kayak fisherman). A buddy of mine is a charter boat captain out of Rod-N-Reel (middle Ches. bay) and all he said was 30# main line and about 15 yards of 50lb mono leader with appropriate in line weight.

Is there something I am missing?

Wire line is traditionally used for trolling stripers when using tubes, parachutes, or umbrella rigs. You can use braid and drails for "shallow" water trolling light tackle.

What did you plan to troll and from what platform?

Forgive me for not knowing the correct/proper terminology (still learning).

But my intent was to run 4-6 rods via the rod holders on the gunwale (sp). At least with 4 - it should work. Might utilize planer boards to extend 2 additional rods out to the sides (more for future than immediate).

Would troll tubes or tandem rigs/bucktails. Might dabble with an umbrella rig or two as I start buying some of these things and getting a better feel for how to properly use them.

Another question: Is there a matrix/chart out there that will give you a general idea of depth/weight/speed? What I mean is - is there way to determine what depth you'd be in the water column by using X amout of weight while going X mph? Or flip it around to say - how much weight do you need to use while trolling at X mph to reach X feet deep?

I know it won't be dead on but something close?

no need for wire or trolling deep in the chesapeake bay. oxygen levels are low and the vast majority of fish are caught in the top 25-30' of water. Most my fish come off the planerboards up high. If you are looking for reels to double as offshore reels for tuna and so forth, the senators would be a better choice. However, I troll with only 330 gtis as I like the level winds for setting the spread. (I count "bars" aka level wind passes to ensure seperation between lines). A level wind also is great when fishing with inexperienced anglers and kids. All my reels are spooled with 30lb mono and I use 60lb mono leaders. (50 would work fine but 60lb is easier on the hands at the boat.). I like mono because it is cheap and wont cut my kids. I wouldnt worry about drag capacity as you are talking striped bass. They arent smoker fish and dont strip off much line at all. Plus a 330gti handles umbrellas just fine too. GTI's can handle lighter offshore work too. We have never had a gti fail and my dad puts out 320gtis with schoolie bluefin tuna for fun. They have landed bluefin in the 50lb class. Given my choice for striper trolling reels, I would go with the Shimano Charter special. They are about the same price as the 330gti, smoother, hold less line (you dont need 330 yards for stripers), and do hold more drag if you want to pull big umbrellas.

For rods, I like 6'6" ande tournament rods the best. they are cheap and a perfect match for stripers. My second favorite rod is a Penn senator 3/0 rod. They are also 6'6" and tend to be the most durable rod. These have roller strippers and tip. Neither are necessary for striped bass fishing. I also have a few sea striker rods in the 20-30lb class that are good.

I like the 114 with mono for umbrellas. The bigger ones can be heavy and the extra cranking leverage come in handt especially when the bluefish are around and you're getting doubles and triples. The 114 can be used for doubl duty with inshore rigs too. That makes a difference up here in Mass where cod and tuna are only a 20 mile run out to Stellwagen Bank. Braid gets down better than mono bue you need a mono or floro leader to pick up the shock. You will need a 113hsp for wire but I traded my wire for bradi and a trolling sinker with good results and less hassle with kinks. You will probably get 50 different answers to your question as we all have our preferences.

I second the advice and info of Bfaithful and Seadog

In bay or in shore the 330GTIs will perform well and the level wind is a great way to measure the set back of your rigs. If you are trolling single spoons or plugs, the GTI is probably the better choice. However, I prefer the Senator more with heavier end tackle like with umbrellas and large bunker spoons. Just my opinion.

Here is my take.

I don't like 6'-6" rods. Too long. I pefer a 6' rod for ease of use and storage.

The Penn 330 and 113 share the same drag stack. The only thing the 113 buys you is more line capacity, a lower gear ratio and about twice the weigh. I have power handles on all 10 of my 330's. No harder winding in an umbrella than with a 113

IMHO Roller tips are a must. Don't buy the braid get caught in the roller stuff. It doesn't hapen with good qulaity roller componets.

The purpose of the stripping guide is to take the line from the top of the reel and drop it down to the same level or thereabouts as the collecter guide. Usally not a problem but can be a problem when using larger reels with smaller rods.

The Penn slammer rods are the worst. Can't count the number of guides I've replaced for people.

My receipe for a rod. A good quaility @ 6' MH blank. Aluminum gimbals, Slick Butts, chrome plated bronze reel seats, Aftco stripper guides, Fuji hardaloy turbo guides, Aftco roller tip.

BTW: the 112 is a 3/0 reel. The 113 is a 4/0 reel and the 114 is a 6/0 reel

Some of the Early Mann's stretch lures came with a small guide Reference if you will about line/depth of lure (Distance back from boat) i cant speak for striper's but I know grouper will come up several feet for a Mann's stretch, many times the foul hook them self actually attack the lure. Braid will get you down deeper for sure, I like Mann's stretch as if you get a hit on a couple rigs and have to slow/stop the other lures you may have out will float to top and not become snagged on bottom. Depending upon area /depth i use 12/18/25/30

Capt Ken Roy who frequents this forum Ran charter Whopper Stopper until he retired loved to troll with the Penn 2/0 as slow retrive would not cause a large plug to fly back at you if you keep rod tip down near edge of water line when retrieving a plug full of weeds or such.

Lot of ther lures work same as Mann's ,i just happen to have to Many Mann's to buy any more,i used 3/0 or 4/0 now went with TLD 20 for grouper King 30lb suffix with 60 floro when shallow water trolling 0-40/50ft range.

I have a matched pair of Kunnan Hot Rail 6ft Rods with Aftco rollers all the way,such a sweeet pair and the price was right. Enjoy

As long as you don't need the level wind , one good thing about the senators is that you see ones in amazing condition for sale cheap on here and other places all the time. You can pick up reels that are in near new condition for around 50 bucks if you are patient.