Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StriperCurry

Is the internet killing fly shops?

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Do people prefer the internet over fly shops when purchasing tackle? How is it that central NJ, which is full of fisherman, has had 2 shops close down in recent times(F H and D n' T)? All of you guys in Ocean, Monmouth, and surrounding counties: Do you miss not having a shop to go tie in or cast a rod you are thinking of purchasing?

Having local shops doesn't mean they're going to have what you want in stock. I have at least three decent shops within an hour drive time but none have the capital to keep everything imaginable in stock. They stock what the popular majority wants. For example, I can't find any Guideline products at these shops but I can find Orvis products at every one.

On the plus side, the staff members at these shops are good. With a few exceptions, most are fly fishers and fly tyers. And it's nice that they answer questions and offer advice from time to time when I'm there. Beats someone reading from a catalog.

To answer the question, I do like having local shops and I do support them. I order online for hard to find items or if the sale prices are right. I trade shipping costs versus the wear and tear on my vehicle from running to the local shops. For something that I want to see in person, such as rods, I have been known to take a long weekend trip to several different shops further away.

Most fly fishing specific shops that I have dealt with also have a store front (B&M). But that store front happens to be in another state.

Generally, I trade with local shops. If an item is not in stock, they are willing to order from their supplier which may take a few weeks. Exceptions would be an item needed sooner than the shop can get it, or the shop must submit a minimum order which then costs the shop more than the value of my order. Raising shop overhead is not helping the shop, or me in the long run. In addition, make sure the shop can get the item you are seeking, since some companies and wholesalers do not take returns from shops. An item in some demand will not leave the shop with an inventory over- head issue if it turns out it was not what you ordered. For example, I recently ordered a fly furniture brand fly dryer from my local shop. it was backordered and the shop's jobber sent a more expensive fly dryer in its place, which I did not want and the shop could not return. However the shop was able to sell the item a few days later when its fly tying class was making epoxy flies and a class student was very happy to find a high end flydryer he did not have to order.

It's funny, Ill order archery stuff, and some things for fishing.. but for tying, I just like shops. I like to go in and see and feel the stuff. I like to get a sense for how the material moves, or with a bucktail how long the fibers are for example. I'm fortunate to also have 3 shops within an hour - 30' actually. One is 100% fly fishing related, 1 fly fishing and high end clothing (like patagonia) and the other is fly fishing, trad fishing, and firearms. Each can have strong points and I like to support them all when possible.

I'd be bummed if they closed!

View PostIt's funny, Ill order archery stuff, and some things for fishing.. but for tying, I just like shops. I like to go in and see and feel the stuff. I like to get a sense for how the material moves, or with a bucktail how long the fibers are for example. I'm fortunate to also have 3 shops within an hour - 30' actually. One is 100% fly fishing related, 1 fly fishing and high end clothing (like patagonia) and the other is fly fishing, trad fishing, and firearms. Each can have strong points and I like to support them all when possible.

I'd be bummed if they closed!

aggreed i like to be able to touch what im about to buy and make sure it fits my needs. there have been countless times when ive ordered some bucktail online only to find that its mostly hollow hairs and no good for what i need it for

If you have fly shops near by...you are LUCKY!

All the fly shops here in Central NY have closed down. I remember when I was a kid there were plenty and I didn't have to drive far. Now if I need to visit a fly shop I have to drive over an hour to get there...unless I want to get my stuff from Gander Mountain :/ (which in my area has recently had a fire that started from the bait tanks in the back of the store!)

-Justin

doesnt mean your not buying from small guys,

I often buy online from shops all over the country,

a small shop in virginia, could be booming because they did something right and selling to yankees online smile.gif.

even local shops, if they have a website i do like to browse the website if i could before going to the shop,

some have good websites i like to return to,

some not so good that i pass on.

also depends on what i am looking for,

if you frequent a local shop, basically bought all the goodies your interested in, and wont find something different, they rarely change up their inventory,

yet browse shops elsewhere online come across all sorts of goodies that are new to you .

I know it did for my NV reel purchase...I saw it and played with it at a local shop, told the owner thanks anyway, and went home and ordered it online with free shipping. My beef was with Gov Doom-of-all Patrick and his 6.25% sales tax, saving myself 40 bucks..

I know from purchasing from local shops that theirs sales are heavily boosted with web sales, and if you try to run a fly shop today without any web sales, well, not sure if you can...

I have seen locally owned Orvis shops benefit tremendously from carrying their clothing line.

I think the other critical factor that is impacting local, privately owned fly shops is the proliferation of the national sports retailers, Bass Pro, Cabelas, Dicks, Gander Mnt, etc.. Even national retailers like Wal Mart and Kmart effect their sales as well.

I have seen in Va. the national retailers siphon off allot of local shop business.

View PostDo people prefer the internet over fly shops when purchasing tackle? How is it that central NJ, which is full of fisherman, has had 2 shops close down in recent times(F H and D n' T)? All of you guys in Ocean, Monmouth, and surrounding counties: Do you miss not having a shop to go tie in or cast a rod you are thinking of purchasing?

1.) They are a rip off.

2.) They don't make deals.

3.) They have sales and mark the stuff up before hand.

4.) They charge tax whether you pay cash or not.

5.) This list is long on why I don't give store front retailers my money...wink.gif

6.) I don't care about tying flies i will do that on my desk.

7.) I don't care about casting rods thats what the Fly Show is for...

You guys are lucky to have a fly shop close by. All of ours.. probably 7 or 8 closed within a few years of BPS opening.

Bite the bullet.. trust me and pay a few more $. Get the stuff local because when the fly shop goes so do the tying sessions, casting lessons.. friendship.. all gone. Closest fly shop is now over an hour away.

Ours used to be a place to meet and talk with friends.. kind of like the local barber shop.

We all really miss those days.

It's great to save 10 dollars here and 15 dollars there... but man will you long for the days of being able to walk into a small shop and talk with other guys who love the sport.

The other sad effect of local shops going away is the only new fly anglers will be taught by their families. Kids won't be able to convince mom or dad to take them to the fly shop... It's an institution that can't be replaced.

BTW I agree.. local shops have to have a web retail side..

I love my local fly shops, I know I can save $$ off the net, but missing is the human factor (not always) and the just hanging out with people who all share a passion for fishing.

I mean yeah its all good to save $$ here and there, but if it were only about money that's one thing, but what about the exchange of information that's lost?

I also support those shops around the areas I enjoy fishing, as to me I'm so happy to be able to go into a shop right off the water, so what if I can save a few bucks, I want these places there in case I need something I forgot right now.

The local shops in my area, + a retail orvis (that I've never been to) + a few local internet shops (one guy met me at a Starbucks all clandestine like we were exchanging classified top secret spy stuff) we end up talking for hrs about all kinds of stuff and almost forget to exchange $$ for the flies he tied for me.. that was a funny one.

I've managed to 'make a deal' with the local shops from time to time. Got a great deal on an Abel Expedition rod carrier I found hiding in a corner of a local shop. Also got an Orvis TLS PowerMatrix for 50% off MSRP during an inventory clearance at a local shop.

I notice some local shops 'sitting' on items until they sell. For example, one shop has a Struble line winder base for $75 when the MSRP has dropped to about $55. Another has discontinued Ross Evolution reels at MSRP when both online and local shops started clearance sales at the beginning of the year.

Is it all about the money no, but I spend on average 5-12k a year on tackle and such and if I wasn't wise with my money at a regular retailer I would spend double...

So yeah, money is a factor for me.

Now if i were buying $20 worth of stuff here and there then yes, but not so in my case.wink.gif