Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Muffinman

1986 mariner outboard 40 hp SHORT! HELP!

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Hey guys. I have a 40 hp Mariner from 1986. I used the boat all day yesterday however the battery was dieing. I charged it for 7 hours last night and the motor won't turn over. Turn the key and nothing happens. I put the sprayer on and pull start her and first pull she starts! I popped the cover and noticed a fuse that connects to the starter is blown,put in 3 replacements and they blow the SECOND I connect the fuse. So I unhook the terminals from the battery. The SECOND I touch the terminals to the battery the fuse blows. I had plans to take a friend chunking tonight and had to cancel as I don't wan't to be out till 3-4AM pull starting my motor.

The only thing I added since I used the boat (only 3-4 times this season) is a humminbird fish finder. I disconnected the AUX power so that the only thing on the battery is the motor.

I an unemployed ATM and funds are very low.

The good news this is my fathers boat. I have the same exact motor (my uncle and him bought them the same day same time same place. on my boat with a bent shift shaft so I cannot use it,however if needed I might be able to take a part from it.

Please help!!!!

Or call me 631 371 0156

If I am not allowed to do this I am sorry. However I repaired for a computers for a living (3 years on paper) many years messing around. So if you are willing to help me out I am have no problem tuning up every PC in your house/office or taking you fishing (2 man boat)

1, get the battery load-tested. Not to say that is definitely it, but a shorted battery might cause issues.

2, once it is load-tested alright, sounds like a dead short through the stator(think thats the name of the part). It will be under the flywheel. If you can, trace the wire out. It should go to an electromagnet looking thing under the flywheel. Sounds like it is shorting out, and as soon as you connect the battery, it tries to pull a BUNCH of amps through, and bang, blown fuse. I'd be careful about pulling this part off your boat, as I do not know the availability of mariner parts like this. I would try and find the part first. IF you can find the part, and it's just a matter of saving some dough, then go for it. Don't want to completely destroy one to save the other, especially if it still runs, you just have to pull-start it.

View Post1, get the battery load-tested. Not to say that is definitely it, but a shorted battery might cause issues.

2, once it is load-tested alright, sounds like a dead short through the stator(think thats the name of the part). It will be under the flywheel. If you can, trace the wire out. It should go to an electromagnet looking thing under the flywheel. Sounds like it is shorting out, and as soon as you connect the battery, it tries to pull a BUNCH of amps through, and bang, blown fuse. I'd be careful about pulling this part off your boat, as I do not know the availability of mariner parts like this. I would try and find the part first. IF you can find the part, and it's just a matter of saving some dough, then go for it. Don't want to completely destroy one to save the other, especially if it still runs, you just have to pull-start it.

Thanks for your quick response,If needed I can pull a part off the other motor (however would rather not as once I get some dough I will be redoing the wood and floor on my boat along w/ fixing the shift shaft) as I agree that parts are hard and expensive for this motor. $185 for a new starter?!

A brand new battery that was charged for one hour have a load probleM?

sorry, must have missed how the battery was new. If that's the case, it is POSSIBLE, but VERY unlikely to be the issue. I stand by the stator, or whatever charging mechanism the motor has(some older ones had a magneto). GL

it's a bad rectifier. easy part to change and inexpensive.readily available at any merc dealer. don't remember exactly where it is located on that motor but it will have 3 wires coming from it I believe 1 red and 2 yellow. if you pull those wires off and put a fuse in it shouldn't blow but it also wont charge

ok....so I played around with it a little bit

The first picture. the red wire comes from the throttle.ignition controls at the helm. I disconnect it and replace the fuse (see second pic) and the fuse does not blow,the second I connect that wire (which connects to the fuse in pic two) the fuse pops....my father mailed me the manual however i'm on the verge of suicide/boredum sitting hereredface.gifcwm31.gifkooky.gif It seems that the connection to the starter/starter soloniod is the problem. I have a PC job tomorrow that might pay $50 so i might be able to buy a part....Thanks for the help guys

It could be a short up at your shifter/ignition box.

Pull the red wire off at the ignition switch, put in fuse, does it pop?, no, now touch the red wire to the terminal on the ign switch, does it pop?

could also be a dead short in the solenoid. I would get a marine tech with a meter to check it out. He can check in 10 min. what would take us 2 weeks to explain to you how to test, plust the cost of a multi-tester which wouldn't be cheap.

I had a multi tester I bought myself and lent it to my old job...they broke it and won't repay me frown.gif

I am going to take another look at it and have my sisters BF (ford and jet ski mechanic) see what he can do

as I said before. figure out where your rectifier is and disconnect the wires from it and then try putting in the fuse. that is a common problem on those motors. also if your battery wasn't charging that would be the cause so I bet both your problems are coming from the same place.

definitely a short, check all the grounds..worst case, jump the fuse with a wire and whatever starts to smoke is where your short is cwm40.gif. Have someone help you so they can look for the smoke while you hold a wire to the fuse terminal.

View Postdefinitely a short, check all the grounds..worst case, jump the fuse with a wire and whatever starts to smoke is where your short is cwm40.gif. Have someone help you so they can look for the smoke while you hold a wire to the fuse terminal.

You know...thats not a bad idea... I've came to the conclusion that I am goign to just take the best of both motors,condense and get my boat redone (needs floor and wood) as it's a lot more fishable