Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fireman

Great White Spotted....

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

That's as much "breaking news" as saying that someone spotted a Brazilian walking the streets of Hyannis biggrin.gif

I can guarantee one thing--he--or she as the case may be--ain't alone out there. If you stick around the beach under the lighthouse long enough, you might see a seal get whacked by one right out in the inlet.

View PostThat's as much "breaking news" as saying that someone spotted a Brazilian walking the streets of Hyannis biggrin.gif

I can guarantee one thing--he--or she as the case may be--ain't alone out there. If you stick around the beach under the lighthouse long enough, you might see a seal get whacked by one right out in the inlet.

"We're a summer town. We need summer dollars!"

Showing on encore right now, " a little shaking a little tenderizing and down you go". They have been around for ever and will be here long after us. We would need every GW on the east coast to park themselves off the cape to even put a dent in those seals, what we really need are a couple pods of Orcas those bad boys can hunt!

View PostShowing on encore right now, " a little shaking a little tenderizing and down you go". They have been around for ever and will be here long after us. We would need every GW on the east coast to park themselves off the cape to even put a dent in those seals, what we really need are a couple pods of Orcas those bad boys can hunt!

Your right about that but at this point it's about the best we can hope for, at least until the burgeoining seal population becomes diseased and their numbers dwindle that way....

The best we could hope for would be a stalemate.

In other words, the seal population would be kept in check, not really decreased. Now if the sharks were able to tolerate the waters when /where the seals are rearing their young, we might have a real change.

About three or four weeks ago, I saw a gigantic splash off the beach at South Cape...The fishermen who had been there saw the splash as well and mentioned a seal had been playing around out there. However, they didn't know if the seal itself would breech or jump like that (none of us saw what actually made the splash)...Someone mentioned that seals don't breech like that and I kinda wrote it off as an isolated tuna jump. However, with this shark talk, I wonder if it couldn't been a shark hitting the seal. I didn't notice any blood stains out there, but I wasn't looking either and it was way out there (close to where the boats were trolling for bluefish)

From the Boston Globe:

A sighting of a great white shark off the coast of Chatham may only be the beginning of aggressive sharks in the area, Dr. Gregory Skomal, an aquatic biologist with the Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries, said yesterday.

On Sunday afternoon, spotter pilot George Breen saw the shark in the area of Nauset Beach, approximately two miles north of an inlet, said Chatham harbormaster Stuart Smith.

"It was an aggressive shark that chased some seals'' toward shore, Smith said.

The sighting occurred at around 4 p.m., according to Bill Chaprales, a fisherman who works with Breen on scientific research and spoke with him after the sighting.

Chaprales, who also uses his tuna boat for marine research with the Division of Marine Fisheries, said the shark was said to be around 15 feet long.

"I've been a commercial fisher for over 40 years, and I only saw three until last year,'' Chaprales said, recalling last summer when he tagged five great whites in two days.

"We think that the higher number of white shark sightings . . . may be related to the growing seal population in that area,'' Skomal said.

The shark seen Sunday was the second spotted in the region.

A seven-foot great white was hooked, tagged, and released on June 26 about 20 miles southeast of Gloucester, prompting a US Coast Guard advisory warning boaters to watch for seals and sharks.

View Post On Sunday afternoon, spotter pilot George Breen saw the shark in the area of Nauset Beach, approximately two miles north of an inlet, said Chatham harbormaster Stuart Smith.

"It was an aggressive shark that chased some seals'' toward shore, Smith said.

While white sharks can put a hurting on an individual seal or two, one coyote or dog with distemper that manages to get near/infect a seal will be a hundred times more effective in toning down the seal population. Just search => Seal distemper.

For example: Distemper kills Danish seal pups

It is not yet clear which strain of the virus is killing seals

An outbreak of distemper has killed at least 41 seal pups, whose carcasses have washed up on a Danish island.

The Danish Forest and Nature Agency is investigating the scale of the outbreak among harbour seals off Anholt island, between Denmark and Sweden.

There are fears that thousands of seals could die if the virus spreads.

A distemper outbreak in 2002 killed about 30% of seals off Denmark, but the virus killed nearly 60% of seals in the area in 1988, the agency says.

The virus causes laboured breathing, fever and neurological problems. It does not affect humans.

Just wait,

Reaux

View PostThat's as much "breaking news" as saying that someone spotted a Brazilian walking the streets of Hyannis biggrin.gif

Reminds me of that joke - "How many immigrants are on Cape Cod?"

"A Brazilian!"smile.gif