Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RiddleFish

Received a broken rod in the mail, what to do?

18 posts in this topic

I purchased a brand new st croix rod here and when i received it unfortunately it had been broken in the mail frown.gif . I went to the post office and they told me there was nothing i could do because the shipper didnt purchase insurance. They did however say that the seller was the only person who could file a claim because he paid for the shipping. I have contacted the seller but have not heard back from him yet. The rod was not packaged in a tube and was sent via standard parcel post. What are my options?

View PostSee 2. at the bottom of the BST rules: http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...d.php?t=403503

Any issues should be worked out with Tim or a mods help.

What I think you mean to say Craig is that he should see # 2, and if a resolution isn't arrived at, to let Tim know so he can do what he needs to do.

Tim or a mod isn't going to mediate.

His recourse is to remove the seller.

View PostWhat I think you mean to say Craig is that he should see # 2, and if a resolution isn't arrived at, to let Tim know so he can do what he needs to do.

Tim or a mod isn't going to mediate.

His recourse is to remove the seller.

Right, who's Craig? wink.gif

I tried and was mostly on the right track and everyone else left him hanging for almost 2 1/2 hours. beatin.gif

Rules are pretty clear. He has to get the item to you in the condition that it was represented--if it is lost or broken, it is his responsibility to refund your money or else TimS will remove him from the BST forum.

People need to learn to pack a rod properly. Those triangular priority mail boxes aren't good enough for longer rods. They're fine for 2piece rods that fit into them but once you connect 2 of those boxes together, the seam where they're connected isn't strong enough. You need to use tubes--plastic tubes are better but cardboard ones are usually okay.

When shipping rods, ALWAYS insure ALWAYS in a tube and ship priority mail early in the week so its not being tossed around over the weekend. Thats what I do, and never had a problem. Just my 2 cents. wink.gif

Good lesson for all of us - if what you purchase is worth a good amount of money, request, even offer to pay to have it insured.

That said, sorry this happened. Try to work it out with the seller, it really is his responsibility to fix the situation.

Is it a brand new st croix or just new to you?

If it's new you can probably resolve this yourself under st croixs warranty.

Seller should definately get back to you and help sort it out

it is a brand new rod, but it certainly wasnt a factory defect or anything due to the integrity of the rod, i believe i will be able to pay $50 to get a replacement through st croix.

View Postin a triangular cardboard box, multiple sections taped together to fit the length of the rod.

Yup... that doesn't work. I either shipped a rod that got broken or received a rod that was broken in those USPS triangular boxes when I first started selling / buying rods. No good. Now it's pvc tubes or HEAVY RIGID cardboard. Too bad. Bum deal. FYI, if I had shipped it that way, I would have sent a full refund to you immediately. That's how I roll. Besides there have been about a dozen posts here about how to pack and ship rods... When I buy a rod, I always specify how I want it packed. If a seller refused to ship that way, I'd pass.