Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yogiiiboy

Legend surf Comparison 9' vs 10'6"

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

In general, with the exception of the 1.5 foot difference, what really is the difference between the 9' and 10.5' legend surf 3/4 - 4 oz. ? Are the handles just as long ? What kind of distance are we really sacrificing with the shorter model ? I've searched this topic but didn't get too much on this question...or at least didn't come across the subject.

They are both made with the same materials, both are moderate action rods.

The 9' weighs 10 oz & the 10 1/2 weighs 11.6 oz.

The 10 1/2' should cast a little further than the 9 but not always true.

It all depends on who is casting the rod.

I have personally casted a 9' rod further than some castng a 10 1/2' rods.

It's all a matter of preference.

I have the 10'6" and a 1-4 9. I can cast my 9' farther than the 10'6"> do a search and you will find a lot of info on the 10'6". I think the 1-4 9' Is the most uder rated rod in the line up but the most capable. GL

I've got em both. Both come in both Mod or Mod fast. I have the 9 MF and the 10 6 mod. The 9 is hard to beat for up here. I've been using the 10 6 as of late bucktailing and soft plastics are surprisingly easy to work on such a long rod. If I had to pick the 9 would be my go.

View PostIn general, with the exception of the 1.5 foot difference, what really is the difference between the 9' and 10.5' legend surf 3/4 - 4 oz. ? Are the handles just as long ? What kind of distance are we really sacrificing with the shorter model ? I've searched this topic but didn't get too much on this question...or at least didn't come across the subject.

We Have all of them in stock, and I just quickly snapped some photos for your reference. In the photos they are as follows. 10'5" top, 10' middle, 9' bottom. Notice how the reel placement is almost identical on the 10'5" and 10. On the 9 it sits lower. The handle is overall 3" longer on the 10'5" as well as the tip. Also notice how the moderate action 9 and 10'6" 3/4-4 both have a composite tip section of SC IV graphite and glass. The Mod-fast action 10 1-4 is straight SCIV graphite. This fact is not mentioned in the literature or anywhere else.

according to specs, they both have the same handle.........having said that, m or mf models, seems like the remainder of the stick would have less of a parabolic range.......especially, the moderate (3/4 - 4 oz) model........

View PostIn general, with the exception of the 1.5 foot difference, what really is the difference between the 9' and 10.5' legend surf 3/4 - 4 oz. ? Are the handles just as long ? What kind of distance are we really sacrificing with the shorter model ? I've searched this topic but didn't get too much on this question...or at least didn't come across the subject.

I've fished both rods and the 9' 3/4-4 is a very capable rod. Albeit the 10'6" is a bit more versatile. With the 9 you can balance the outfit a lot easier with a smaller size reel. Such as the VS 150. As with the 10'6" you will need something like 15oz and a weighted butt cap. Otherwise you will need something like a VS200 or Shimano 6000-8000 size. But I like it and use it with a 15 oz reel, like a Stella 5000 with no cap. It's been said over and over again. If you are only going to have one surf rod, get the 10'6" 3/4-4. It just speaks of its versatility. But the 9 is so much fun though. smile.gif You will get more distance with the 10'5" and heavier lures. I used the 10'6" from throwing 3/4 oz bucktails to throwing heads and 5 oz even a whole bunker with no weight and it is a very forgiving rod. Due to the glass no doubt.

Not sure if are local or not, but if you are anywhere near Great Kills Staten Island, come down to the park a have a couple of throws with both. I'm there all the time and always have Lagends and Mojos with me.

Thanks Andre......I'm down here in South Jersey with sandy beaches and have the 10.5 and you're right ..it's alot of fun to do so many things with this rod. BUT, i can imagine what you mean when you say "the 9 is so much fun".............I am really trying to find a rod for my girlfriend who loves the fishing we both experience. She is using a Ben Doerr 8 ft now and the 10.5 may be "too" much for her. She likes the rod but i can see it's just a little too much......SOOoooo..Hence i am looking at the 9 for her........(BUT i can see myself falling in love with this one too).......

View PostNot sure if are local or not, but if you are anywhere near Great Kills Staten Island, come down to the park a have a couple of throws with both. I'm there all the time and always have Lagends and Mojos with me.

Hey Andre,i am currently using Premier 8'6'' w/560 slammer and considering upgrading for the fall season , i want the 9' mod action but not sure if to go with Legend or Mojo ??confused.gif

View PostHey Andre,i am currently using Premier 8'6'' w/560 slammer and considering upgrading for the fall season , i want the 9' mod action but not sure if to go with Legend or Mojo ??confused.gif

Go up there and give them a test cast.

View PostHey Andre,i am currently using Premier 8'6'' w/560 slammer and considering upgrading for the fall season , i want the 9' mod action but not sure if to go with Legend or Mojo ??confused.gif

Both are terrific rods, the Legend is more sensitive no doubt and faster recovery. Feels stiffer but it's not. Higher modulus graphite working here. To me the Legend is the one to get for these reasons; plus, better guides, better finish, the handle is just awesome, lighter, Lifetime Warranty, US Made and just more fun. Uses ART carbon fiber reinforcement and their IPC production process. And, It's a Legend! I have a client whom I sold the Mojo, he is very happy with the rod to say the least. But, we were fishing the other day and he gave the Legend a Cast. All he said was, Holy ****! Granted he tried both rods before he bought and wasn't able to dicern a huge difference back then. You have to fish the rod for a while to be able to say that. The Legend as well as the Mojo I should say, will have you develop a whole new teqnique to your cast.

I'd put something lighter than the 560 Slammer on it. The Conquer 5000 works awesome with the Mojo and the Legend with none of the annoying back play in the handle of the Slammer. Shimano Stradic or Sustain 5000 works just as well too.