Technical help needed!

Rate this topic

I'm hoping one of you guys can help me out...I have a 21' boat with two fuel tanks. One in the bow, one in stern. Both lines run to a diverter valve to switch from tank to tank. I want to put an Airtex marine fuel pump in line after the stern tank. I was told the fuel pump is 2.5 to 4.5 psi. Will my 1987 150hp Evinrude operate within this fuel pressure range? Because of the distance from the bow tank, I was told I might get only 2 psi from the bow tank and 4.5 psi from the aft tank. Would this be a problem?confused.gif Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Nobody has everything.........
(*member formerly known as 'Fishnfella')

I am not sure why you want to add a pump unless you are having fuel issues now. If so, it may be a pump in the mtor that needs replacing.

If you were to add a pump for whatever reason as long as there still is a pump in the motor, the quaestion is not PSI directly but gallons per hour. That is a function of the pump rating lowered by number and type of fittings, fuel line size and length. Add factors for filter, etc.

So once again, what are you trying to accomplish?

The vro oil pump went bad. Everyone I talked to around here said they always have issues..I was told by several people just eliminate the pump and replace with an elec fuel pump and premix gas in the tank rather than have a separate oil tank....

Nobody has everything.........
(*member formerly known as 'Fishnfella')

My concern with a carbed motor and an electric fuel pump on an outboard would be a problem with the float valve. You would just have fuel overflowing the carbs.

If I were you, I would just buy the non-vro fuel pump for the motor and mix the oil in the tanks.They do make a non vro pump for those, I put one in my Evinrude.Some dealers can't seem to find them in their parts master, but they exist.And they are a lot cheaper.

you can go to non vro fuel pumps but not an external electric. you would need a bunch of parts though, if your pump works but doesn't pump oil then just disconnect the harness block off the oil line and mix oil in your gas.it will work as just a regular fuel pump. if you don't connect the harness coming from the vro pump you will get a false alarm.