Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Azballa7

Tangled line in the surf

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

How do you guys reach the end of your flyrods to untangle a knot?? Whether it be the leader wrapped around the top guides or your leader pulled through the first few guides?

Is it safe to submerge your fly reel underwater? I have a 9ft rod and its impossible to hold it in one hand and try to reach the other end to fix a tangle.

Unless you have a reel with a sealed drag, I wouldn't submerge the reel. Back out of the water to untangle it. Alternative is to break down the rod (assuming you don't have a 1 piece) and you can easily reach the tangle. Just don't try to bend the tip towards you to try to undo the tangle, my friend did that once and broke his rod beatin.gif.

That should not happen much. Leave few feet of fly line out of rod tip when you finish stripping and when you walk route the leader behind reel seat and put fly hook to stripper frame which leaves line out of rod tip unless you use much longer than rod length leader.

I will admit to having the line make a nice little half hitch over the tip top guide on occassion. Not pretty, don't ask.

Assuming you have an average wingspan, if you grasp the rod about half way and point the reel skyward, you should be able to reach the tip enough to work out any tangles. Otherwise the previous posters have already stated the other options.

O

I take off my stripping basket(orvis) and place it on the sand. Place the butt end of the rod into the basket which puts the rod tip up about 2' off the sand and attend to the tangle. Much less chance of me doing something dumb.

Fwiw

I do what AUBV says, I put my basket on the sand or jetty rocks, put the reel and butt of the rod in there and fix the problem. Everything is free of the sand and you won't beat your reel up on rocks.

If you have just passed through the first two guides try taking up all but several inches of line on the rod before flipping your fly out away from you and giving it a quick snap, like a hook-set, with your wrist. The fly's resistance in the water is often enough to pull the line out through the tip. If you leave too much line hanging on the rod between the guides the fly will have trouble pulling it out.

As for the wrap around the tip, again flip the fly out away from you with your arm extended and jiggle the tip as you pull the rod to you by bending your elbow. Try this a couple of times before you take the time to disassemble the rod.

If on the water, do what Oakman suggested; hold it close to the middle.

On shore, just use your hat or stripping basket to hold the reel off the sand.

There's no need to take the rod apart.

View Post2 piece rod.break it down fix the problem and put it back.The reel goes under your arm.cwm40.gif

+1 to theshadow. I do that all the time when I screw up my line at night.