Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishalicious

Arra XSRA 1084 or Surf & Jetty XS9 MHS?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I just broke a factory Lamiglas Arra 1083-2 the other night fighting a large striper and I am thinking that, as much as I enjoyed fishing this rod for almost two seasons, I should bump up a notch to avoid this situation from happening again. I can't afford a custom rod and the next one will be a warranty replacement, anyway.

I'm looking for a 9 foot, one-piece rod for plugging primarily the Long Island North Shore with lighter stuff: Bombers, Loaded Redfins, swimmers, small poppers, bucktails, and soft plastics. I already own an XS10MS (10 foot, all-around).

The 1083 was great at casting the lighter stuff, and I am curious if either the 1084 or XS9 will also handle this end of the weight spectrum with the same aplomb.

Thread search yielded some results, but there's plenty of room for more on the subject.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

View PostI just broke a factory Lamiglas Arra 1083-2 the other night fighting a large striper and I am thinking that, as much as I enjoyed fishing this rod for almost two seasons, I should bump up a notch to avoid this situation from happening again. I can't afford a custom rod and the next one will be a warranty replacement, anyway.

I'm looking for a 9 foot, one-piece rod for plugging primarily the Long Island North Shore with lighter stuff: Bombers, Loaded Redfins, swimmers, small poppers, bucktails, and soft plastics. I already own an XS10MS (10 foot, all-around).

The 1083 was great at casting the lighter stuff, and I am curious if either the 1084 or XS9 will also handle this end of the weight spectrum with the same aplomb.

Thread search yielded some results, but there's plenty of room for more on the subject.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

What about the SS 91 MHS 1 to 3oz. I have both the XS and the SS 9' Dont use the XS much since buying the SS. Lami chnged the rating on the SS from 1 to 4, to 1 to 3. The XS is slightly stiffer.

The 9' SS seems to be my go to rod in the fall and early spring. Another option is the Lami XS 86, although its rated more like the 1083 but a little more back bone because of the shorter length.

Tight lines, Lami

The XRA 1084 is my go-to rod for the Western Sound, North Shore and Jersey. I'll use everything from small bombers and bucks to 7" and 10" Hogys. I really have nothing bad to say about it.

Can't go wrong with the SS or XRA tho.

View PostWhat about the SS 91 MHS 1 to 3oz.

Thanks for your input, Mike. Do you think I'd have an issue with a clean warranty exchange on this? A 1083 for the SS 91 MHS??

So I popped into a shop and handled a 2-piece 1084, an XS91, and a SuperSurf SS91. The XS91 is a lot heavier and stiffer than I thought - not going to fit the bill here. The 1084 would be a more accurate replacement for my broken 1083, but I'm still wary about the factory guide lay out. The Super Surf was actually REALLY nice and is now the front runner.

View PostSo I popped into a shop and handled a 2-piece 1084, an XS91, and a SuperSurf SS91. The XS91 is a lot heavier and stiffer than I thought - not going to fit the bill here. The 1084 would be a more accurate replacement for my broken 1083, but I'm still wary about the factory guide lay out. The Super Surf was actually REALLY nice and is now the front runner.

Was it the SS 91 MLS or the SS 91 MHS?

The MLS is rated 3/8-2oz I think and the MHS is rated 1-3oz, both SWEET 9fters though!

View PostWas it the SS 91 MLS or the SS 91 MHS?

The MLS is rated 3/8-2oz I think and the MHS is rated 1-3oz, both SWEET 9fters though!

It was the MHS. I guess I could go either way, but I'm leaning towards the MHS. I felt really undergunned with 1083 the other night and I didn't like it.

View PostIt was the MHS. I guess I could go either way, but I'm leaning towards the MHS. I felt really undergunned with 1083 the other night and I didn't like it.

Yeah go with the MHS then. highfive.gif

hi guys, question about the SS91MLS... none around here that I can actually handle... is there any problem trying to walk-the-dog with such a rod?... with say a Stradic 4000 or 5000 would it be balanced? Considering a rod like this to handle typical surf lures here in SE Florida... light enuf for X-raps, Skitterwalks, etc, but also enough backbone to handle a 1.5oz jig. Seems like this rod should handle the weights, just wondering about the ability with that slightly longer butt to walk-the-dog.

I have an 8'2" Loomis Greenwater, 1/4oz - 1-1/4oz which is a great rod, and I can walk-the-dog with that when I put my hand a bit further up the rod for balance, but I'd like a slightly longer butt for casting harder, and it feels a bit pushed with anything over 1oz. Thinking maybe that SS91MLS could fit the bill.

Thanks for your input! :-)