Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishalicious

Blurple Redfin and a broken rod...

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

It is is Sunday night and I am still riding the emotional rollercoaster of what happened to me fishing a night tide on the LI north shore in the small hours of Saturday morning.

About 1:30am, roughly 4 hours into the outgoing tide, I'm fishing a sand bar with a friend using a loaded blurple Redfin when I hook into what would have undoubtedly been my personal best striper from the surf.

The "would have been", of course, means that the fish was never landed. A few minutes into the fight, I'm fighting the fish close on a short line when I felt an unnatural, sudden slackening in the line and then saw my plug flying out of the water towards me. The next sound was my, "Noooooo!," crushed at losing the fish. Then a bad situation turned worse when as I was checking my gear to see what happened, I found that my Lamiglas Ron Arra 1083-2 had snappped right behind the 2nd guide from the tip. cwm31.gif

I couldn't believe it! I baby the thing, never throwing more than 1.5 ounces and no high sticking, either. The rod simply failed at a critical point under the strain of a large striper. Now, I'm not talking a 50lbs.er here, but maybe 20-25. The rod shouldn't have failed like that. mad.gif

I have read on this forum about the guide placement on this rod not being adequate enough to distribute the force across the obviously fragile tip. I believe you all now and please feel free to insert a "told you so!" below. redface.gif

Anyway, I'll be shipping the pieces to Lamiglas this week for warranty coverage, but I don't want the same rod back. I'm thinking that I need to replace this with either an Arra 1084 or Surf & Jetty XS91 - a 9 foot rod that I can use for the lighter stuff, but will not have to worry about breaking like this again. Anyone else done this type of swap with Lami before?

Sorry to hear that man, I too suffered a lose today i lost my reel and rod to the ocean. Also my friend the other night was fishing south shore and around end of night he was making cast and his lami snapped at 3rd guide. Im not sure his exact model. When he said it broke on a cast and a lami I was shocked. So im not sure whats up with these rods but I hope you get yours replaced with out too much grief. Good luck

View PostSorry to hear about the rod. Any chance the plug hit the rod?

That's a good theory, but that didn't happen here. The break is clean, right at the guide foot. In my research, I found a post alluding to a tendency in this rod for the guide feet to dig in and stress the blank wall forming a crack that would be unnoticeable until the rod actually falls apart.

View PostThat's a good theory, but that didn't happen here. The break is clean, right at the guide foot. In my research, I found a post alluding to a tendency in this rod for the guide feet to dig in and stress the blank wall forming a crack that would be unnoticeable until the rod actually falls apart.

Is there underwrap below the guide? Unfortunately, most factory rods don't have this to save a few penniies.

View PostIs there underwrap below the guide? Unfortunately, most factory rods don't have this to save a few penniies.

An underwrap probably wouldn't have made a difference. There's actually a thread about that very thing in the rod building forum now.

The rod might have failed due to the fight but it also could've been from previous damage that finally gave away. A small nick from being in front of or on top of a car, swivel damage, anything.

What kind of drag setting did you have? A pulled hook and a broken rod can both be symptoms of the same thing. Remember, at a particular drag setting a 10 pound bass and a 50 pound bass can put the same amount of pressure on your rod. I'm not saying that the rod wasn't damaged or defective, but if you pulled a hook and caused your rod to fail when it hadn't before, its possible that you were overloading the whole system.

I have heard many stories about these rods breaking in this fashion. This is the exact reason why I dont get fancy and go with reliable blanks like GSBs

View PostWhat kind of drag setting did you have?

The Stradic 5000FI drag was singing on this fish. If anything, it was too loose and I didn't get the hook set I really wanted.

it wasnt the lure or lack or underwraps. it was what you first said, that rod doesnt have enough guides. i have build 2 of those and 2 of the 8 footers for myself and my brother. 7 or 8 guides. teen sized blues bass in the 20's no problem. the factory rod has like 4 guides i think and creates pressure points (hard angles in the line from guide to guide). if you put line on a custom made and a factory made of that blank and put a bend on it you will clearly see which setup is stressing the blank more. if properly made that is a great rod. i wouldnt fish the factor made one

View Postit wasnt the lure or lack or underwraps. it was what you first said, that rod doesnt have enough guides. i have build 2 of those and 2 of the 8 footers for myself and my brother. 7 or 8 guides. teen sized blues bass in the 20's no problem. the factory rod has like 4 guides i think and creates pressure points (hard angles in the line from guide to guide). if you put line on a custom made and a factory made of that blank and put a bend on it you will clearly see which setup is stressing the blank more. if properly made that is a great rod. i wouldnt fish the factor made one

Yup. The fish ran toward me early in the fight so it was on a short line from the beginning and the rod gave away at the point where the line was almost 90° to the rod tip with the fish about 15 feet in front of me. It was a dark, dark night, so I didn't see a whole lot.

This is why I'm really gun shy on going for the 1084 as a replacement because it's the same guide set-up. headscratch.gif

a broken rod in a car or garage door I feel no sympathy for. breaking a rod with a fish on (especially what may have been a PB) I can sympathize for. Sorry to hear that bro..I hope they take care of you. Dare I say defective blank?