Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
billy262

newbie fly fisherman

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Just moved to sterling forest lake and want to flyfish for these beautiful small and largemouth bass.I'd like to get an outfit that won't break the bank but not a piece of junk.They are going to have a seminar on July 17th.I'd like to have my own outfit by then.Any help would greatly help.Thanks

how much you wanna spend? right now on orvis you can get a mid arbor reel discounted and a free spool with it, add a line and they'll handle spooling it all up before they ship.

and then for a rod you can check the bst here, but you can also look at orvis and llbean, BUT

it's all going to depend on how much you want to spend. some will say it's best to try the hobby first, maybe borrow a friends equipment, but if it's something you REALLLLY wanted to do, you may as well buy your outfit now.

Rods - are built for different people, whats great for me might be crap for you, and just because a rod costs 675.00 doesn't mean your going to like it. You have to try them before you buy them, no matter what name is on them. My first rod was a TFO, inexpensive and comfortable for me. So, try before you buy.

Reels - for just starting out you can use any of them, trust me, your not going to need a Tibor while your learning how to cast. So go pick up a Lamson, there are a few great models to choose from and they are all good, they also have one in every price range.

Line - You can start a big debate here talking about lines. My opinion? What worked for me and still does til this day?

Airflo 40+ Saltwater Distance Line, no memory and casts like a like a dream, especially in the wind, which will be your enemy for the next 2 years.

Good Luck

TP