Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mokes

Etex and Rustoleum?

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I have had a couple plugs, after I Etex.......including the one I am donating to Iron Mike.... wrinkle in a wierd tight pattern on the belly where I use White Rustoleum.

Think maybe even after they are dry, there is some reaction going on? Not sure what to do.confused.gif

Just checked flipped the plugs. It's wierd. No issues with the Krylon. Guess it must be the Rustoleum. Not sure what to think besides maybe just sticking with Krylon in the future until I get the airbrushing down....

Now I'm going to feel like **** giving this plug to the Charity and I'm out of time....mad.gifmad.gif

View PostSounds to me like the paint wasn't dry ...!!!

Seemed dry. Maybe the humidity kept it a bit soft? Felt dry to me, but maybe not? Bummer either way.....

Isn't Rustoleum oil based? I don't think it's compatible with urethane, if that's what you used. Just a guess.

BUT, don't sweat it, it'll kick cancer's ass just fine. Like I said, I only fish with cock-eyed and wrinkled plugs donated to charity wink.gif

Give that plug another coat of Etex or Devcon and you'll have the next paint craze. It may give you a super pattern. When you have a lemon, make lemonade!highfive.gif

Plenty of time man, keep that one and make another. I'll have a few turned tonight and they'll be in the mail at the end of the week. Dry heat is your friend.

View PostPlenty of time man, keep that one and make another. I'll have a few turned tonight and they'll be in the mail at the end of the week. Dry heat is your friend.

I wish, but no way can I have another made by the weeks end. I will make another instead for the winner. The plug still looks nice and will fish fine. I will take a pic when I can.

The sealer alone takes 2 fulls days to dry. Primer another 1 day. Paint must be a 2 day with the Rustoleum, but I can switch to Krylon. The Etex is a 2 day minimum with the humidity. I'll send these 2 out and I'll be making more today for the Swap and some guys on SOL.......I'll make a couple extra.

This is the 1st time that I have ever given anything out. I'm pretty nervous for some reason.

My other pencil developed some bubbles in the corner of one eye on the other Pencil. No matter how hard I try, I cannot make a plug that is not without a flaw. I'm just not there yet, lol.

Maybe this is the part of handmade that comes with the territory?

I'm learning. Bit by bit, week by week. I have to accept the good with the bad now. I refuse to get frustrated. I guess if I thought in 6 months I was going to be producing master crafted plugs, I was insane, lol.

I just want people to be happy with something I made I guess. I'm being a bit of a nancy, lol.redface.gif

try not setting your eyes in so deep...and glue them in to help get rid of any air pockets under the eye,,when the finish goes go , it will seek those pockets an up pops the bubbles.

the paint wasn't dry..it let the finish through it an mr.wrinkles came a knockin....you need a dry heat heater like a delong and hang your plugs up over it to dry out your sealer/primer/finsh paint.

I almost exclusively use rattle cans and I've tried lots of different brands. The only problem I ever had was mixing brands. None of them ever reacted with Devcon or Etex...don't get me wrong, I've had my share of screw ups, but usually because of the paint not being totally dry. As anxious as I am to get the plug done I've learned to LET 'EM HANG AND DRY. And that goes for all stages from sealing to Etex (or whatever).

View Posttry not setting your eyes in so deep...and glue them in to help get rid of any air pockets under the eye,,when the finish goes go , it will seek those pockets an up pops the bubbles.

the paint wasn't dry..it let the finish through it an mr.wrinkles came a knockin....you need a dry heat heater like a delong and hang your plugs up over it to dry out your sealer/primer/finsh paint.

View PostI almost exclusively use rattle cans and I've tried lots of different brands. The only problem I ever had was mixing brands. None of them ever reacted with Devcon or Etex...don't get me wrong, I've had my share of screw ups, but usually because of the paint not being totally dry. As anxious as I am to get the plug done I've learned to LET 'EM HANG AND DRY. And that goes for all stages from sealing to Etex (or whatever).

Yeah. This is the result of trying to make plugs last week in an inferno. Too hot, rushed work. The eyes are too deep. Bah. I feel like tossing these things.mad.gif

View PostYeah. This is the result of trying to make plugs last week in an inferno. Too hot, rushed work. The eyes are too deep. Bah. I feel like tossing these things.mad.gif

Eyes look fine Mokes... maybe use your tool that you cupped the face with on the eyescwm40.gif makes the eye area a little less prone to holding bubbles. You might want to "heat set" your paint.. Living in Florida has its challenges with humidity... I hang and cure my plugs in the spare bathroom with fan running....just a thoughtsmile.gif

View PostEyes look fine Mokes... maybe use your tool that you cupped the face with on the eyescwm40.gif makes the eye area a little less prone to holding bubbles. You might want to "heat set" your paint.. Living in Florida has its challenges with humidity... I hang and cure my plugs in the spare bathroom with fan running....just a thoughtsmile.gif

Yeah......I have no idea why I went deep on the eyes. I just am pissed about how these came out and for IronMikes charity too.

I will send them and get on making 2 more. I cannot let this go. I won't feel right and it'll eat me up bad. I know they will fish great, but still. Poo-poo. KA-KA!!