Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
River Fisher

Beginning Surf Fishing

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hello, I have been fishing for many years with my dad and grandfather. Every year we go down to Ocean City, Ive been anxious to try surf fishing. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on beginner set-ups and/or tips. Another question that I have is, Can I use a surf rod on a small dock?

Thanks

From your user name you probably already have something that can be used to get your feet wet. Perhaps it isn't best for what you may have in mind regarding surf fishing, but it can work. Others here will guide you better as they learn more, from you.

You probably have that rod to use off a small dock and, too, some small swimming lures and twister tails. This is surf equipment, but may not do what you have in mind. What I mean is, I have a "freshwater" rod for a casing weight up to one ounce that I almost always take with me. You can catch fluke, sea robins and small blues. You can use the jig with a twister tail or a stripe of squid or gulp (even their 4" Pogies). Retrieving along the bottom would be best; however, with the jig, you might also try just somewhat letting it flow or drift around on the bottom, if you hold the rod and not allow excessive slack in the line.

You will get better advice here from others, I am sure, because I don't much fish through the summer and if I did, I would be using a bigger rod and bigger bait and would be putting the rod in a sand spike. Very knowledgeable people will help from here, but, again, welcome. And, good luck.

Thanks. I have a Pflueger Medalist Reel and a Shakespeare Stealth Stik. It really isnt much but, it works for what I need to do. I was thinking a good price range would be about $200-$300. I really dont want to "break the bank." I usually catch small mouth bass and walleyes, with an occasional catfish. When I go fishing in the river, I don't ever use lures or anything. So, if you have any advice for which lures would work the best for this that would be great.

If your looking for a Salt water outfit check out the Tica line of rods. They make a great Rod for a Great price the 9' 1-3 oz will run you about $100.00 that leaves you $200.00 for a reel. The Shimano Saragosa is a nice reel

5000 size will run you about $229.00 but if you shop around you can find better prices.

icon14.gif :

View PostIf your looking for a Salt water outfit check out the Tica line of rods. They make a great Rod for a Great price the 9' 1-3 oz will run you about $100.00 that leaves you $200.00 for a reel. The Shimano Saragosa is a nice reel

5000 size will run you about $229.00 but if you shop around you can find better prices.

And if you need to save a little bit more, for tackle or something, you can still choose a more inexpensive reel that will afford you a set-up with which you will feel equally happy in using. However, the rod price at about $100, is what it is. We usually jump to the conclusion that your are thinking spining fishing. I was thinking medium spining rod $100: maybe a STAR, 2pc., 9', casting 1-4oz. A bit less expensive on the reels, but nothing to be assamed of, are, in example, Quantum Cabo or Boca, 50 or 40 ($180 or less) or Penn Slammer 460 (maybe about $150). Note: you are just looking for a place to start; almost every one of us is still finding something that we absolutely need. Lastly, get ready to answer, do you plan on using braided line or mono?. There is no answer to this that is incorrect or stupid.