Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
reptile

skunk?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I know this is not about fishing but I'm really curious. My dog got sprayed the other night, I was there when it happened but could not see the thing because it was under the kids trampoline. The smell was the worst thing I ever smelled in my life, but it did not smell like the skunks I'm used to getting a wif of occasionally. On a few occasions with in the past couple of years I have seen what looks like a skunk but is has long white hair on top and black on the bottom (not a stripe, all white on top) I'm thinking this is what he got sprayed by.

the only thing I can find online that resembles this is the eastern hog nose skunk, only problem with that...when they say eastern they,re talkin Texas and Eastern Mexico.

Has anyone seen any of these skunks or know anything about them?

And if it helps keep this thread in the main, I love striped bass fishingbiggrin.gif

not all skunks have the same pattern.. I know I have seen some around my house which are striped, yet I have seen some on the beach in Wildwood which are ALL white or ALL black. Just saying, it could be a normal skunk, just look weird

View Postnot all skunks have the same pattern.. I know I have seen some around my house which are striped, yet I have seen some on the beach in Wildwood which are ALL white or ALL black. Just saying, it could be a normal skunk, just look weird

There is a population of black Eastern Gray Squirrels in Princeton, NJ (I have seen an occational one elsewhere). About the smell: I don't mind the "wif" that you are talking about but I had your same "up close and personal" experience with a dog and this smells like oil refinery. (tomato juice?)

Best dog de-skunker solution: 1 tsp DAWN dish soap, 1 quart hydrogen peroxide, and 1/4 cup baking soda.

Wet dog. Apply mixture, being careful of eyes. Let sit for a few (5) minutes. Rinse dog. Wash dog as normal to remove residual solution.

Best dog collar wash: Sport Wash or similar. Washing in the above solution also works but might discolor the collar.

View PostBest dog de-skunker solution: 1 tsp DAWN dish soap, 1 quart hydrogen peroxide, and 1/4 cup baking soda.

Wet dog. Apply mixture, being careful of eyes. Let sit for a few (5) minutes. Rinse dog. Wash dog as normal to remove residual solution.

Best dog collar wash: Sport Wash or similar. Washing in the above solution also works but might discolor the collar.

Russ has the skunk concoction spot on, this is what I use on my guys when they get skunked, which is every summer. Also, the smell of a dead skunk in the road is a world of difference compared to when you are in the immediate area of a skunk when it sprays. It smells like burning rubber almost and usually messes up your vision a little.

Check your pooch for scratches and bite marks on his/her snout as well, be sure to clean them if you find some, and if you didn't kill the skunk or get a good look at it to make sure it wasn't rabid take your dog to the vet to make sure.