Not your mother's Democratic Party

Rate this topic

Gamakatsu

View PostWHy does freedom always get equated to anarchy ?

Those nonanarchists who mistakenly equate freedom with anarchy overlook that advocates for maximum freedom also champion ordered liberty.

Equating freedom with anarchy is incongruous; a state of anarchy diminishes freedom. The rule of law, regulations, established institutions and regularized procedures provide the continuity and predictability that order liberty.

To those who advocate an anarchistic, "totally free" society I say this: if such a society came into existence you could not function in the lawless, unpredictable chaos of a "totally free" society.

"Who is John Galt?"
Who?
You?

View PostThose nonanarchists who mistakenly equate freedom with anarchy overlook that advocates for maximum freedom also champion ordered liberty.

Equating freedom with anarchy is incongruous. The rule of law, regulations, established institutions and regularized procedures, provide the predictability that orders liberty.

To those who advocate an anarchistic, "totally free" society I say this: if such a society came into existence you could not function in the lawless, unpredictable chaos of a "totally free" society.

There's also Joe Sobran's view (paraphrasing).

Considering all the oppression, hatred, death, poverty, illness, and outright war that government has brought us in the last 150 years, how bad can anarchy possibly be?shaky.gif

“My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose.”

Ayn Rand

View PostThere's also Joe Sobran's view (paraphrasing).

Considering all the oppression, hatred, death, poverty, illness, and outright war that government has brought us in the last 150 years, how bad can anarchy possibly be?shaky.gif

That's sort of a hippiesque approach to political analysis. You'd have to spend some time in another part of history to appreciate how good it really is (on balance).

You don't need government to experience any of those things. You just need people.

Laus Deo

That's what the dems and reps are probably hoping for. It's easy to marginalize a new faction. That would guarantee they hold onto their share of power. In a media driven culture, it's easy to label a new movement as a bunch of kooks and scare away potential supporters at the last minute. Ask anyone who's followed the Tea Party movement.

View PostBetween now and 2012 you will see a third part emerge and it will be a strong one. Alot of Dems and Repubs will leave their party and come together in this new party.

We should and will see alot of emcumbents votd out this November. I only hope that the Dems lose control. Not that I am a Rep, but to balance out this mess we have in DC.

I see say and will stick to it, OBE won't make 2012.

In most other countries, they have more then one party to choose, I think it's time for us to have more choices. Not all of us like black and white, left or right.

I can only hope. But, funding is what drives the power of the parties and a new party will need to build up funds. Not as much funds, because it's easier to sell something that is in demand and a new party is not only in demand, but needed.

Laus Deo

View PostThere's also Joe Sobran's view (paraphrasing).

In terms of scope, scale, and protraction, no power, no entity on earth can work greater harm than government.

However, can implies a possibility, a potential as opposed to a certitude.

I'd rather live in an established modern state than in the chaos of Zimbabwe.

"Who is John Galt?"
Who?
You?

View PostWe're the people that don't want much, so the politicians can't buy us. If they can't buy us, we're not worth listening to. Politicians grow in the fertile soil of greed. Their's, and that of the people whose votes they can buy with our money.

Truer words aren't written very often.

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

View PostWhat timing. I just had a conversation yesterday with an old school dem. Guy was more conservative than me (not really but I was shocked). He was however more conservative than most so-called republicans in washington, and yes, somewhat socially liberal, which is where many level headed people reside.

dems, pubs; land of the lost if ya ask me.

Yep, that's what I am - an old school Dem. I'd watched with horror over the last two decades the morphing of Dems and Repubs to the perversions they are today.

I feel your pain Gami but I've been an independent voter for decades making choices for the least objectionable. Disillusionment isn't new, it's just that the same problems have been pushed to a new order of magnitude.

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...pinion_LEADTop

Democratic House members are so worried about the fall elections they're leaving Washington on July 30, a full week earlier than normal-and they won't return until mid-September. Members gulped when National Journal's Charlie Cook, the Beltway's leading political handicapper, predicted last month "the House is gone," meaning a GOP takeover. He thinks Democrats will hold the Senate, but with a significantly reduced majority.

The rush to recess gives Democrats little time to pass any major laws. That's why there have been signs in recent weeks that party leaders are planning an ambitious, lame-duck session to muscle through bills in December they don't want to defend before November. Retiring or defeated members of Congress would then be able to vote for sweeping legislation without any fear of voter retaliation.

John Fund discusses the Democratic agenda for the lame duck Congress, including cap and trade, card-check, and pork.

"I've got lots of things I want to do" in a lame duck, Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D., W. Va.) told reporters in mid June. North Dakota's Kent Conrad, chairman of the Senate Budget Committee, wants a lame-duck session to act on the recommendations of President Obama's deficit commission, which is due to report on Dec. 1. "It could be a huge deal," he told Roll Call last month. "We could get the country on a sound long-term fiscal path." By which he undoubtedly means new taxes in exchange for extending some, but not all, of the Bush-era tax reductions that will expire at the end of the year.

In the House, Arizona Rep. Raul Grijalva, co-chairman of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, told reporters last month that for bills like "card check"-the measure to curb secret-ballot union elections-"the lame duck would be the last chance, quite honestly, for the foreseeable future."

Iowa Sen. Tom Harkin, chair of the Senate committee overseeing labor issues, told the Bill Press radio show in June that "to those who think [card check] is dead, I say think again." He told Mr. Press "we're still trying to maneuver" a way to pass some parts of the bill before the next Congress is sworn in.

Other lame-duck possibilities? Senate ratification of the New Start nuclear treaty, a federally mandated universal voter registration system to override state laws, and a budget resolution to lock in increased agency spending.

Then there is pork. A Senate aide told me that "some of the biggest porkers on both sides of the aisle are leaving office this year, and a lame-duck session would be their last hurrah for spending." Likely suspects include key members of the Senate Appropriations Committee, Congress's "favor factory," such as Pennsylvania Democrat Arlen Specter and Utah Republican Bob Bennett.

Conservative groups such as FreedomWorks are alarmed at the potential damage, and they are demanding that everyone in Congress pledge not to take up substantive legislation in a post-election session. "Members of Congress are supposed to represent their constituents, not override them like sore losers in a lame-duck session," Rep. Tom Price, head of the Republican Study Committee, told me.

It's been almost 30 years since anything remotely contentious was handled in a lame-duck session, but that doesn't faze Democrats who have jammed through ObamaCare and are determined to bring the financial system under greater federal control.

Mike Allen of Politico.com reports one reason President Obama failed to mention climate change legislation during his recent, Oval Office speech on the Gulf oil spill was that he wants to pass a modest energy bill this summer, then add carbon taxes or regulations in a conference committee with the House, most likely during a lame-duck session. The result would be a climate bill vastly more ambitious, and costly for American consumers and taxpayers, than moderate "Blue Dogs" in the House would support on the campaign trail. "We have a lot of wiggle room in conference," a House Democratic aide told the trade publication Environment & Energy Daily last month.

Many Democrats insist there will be no dramatic lame-duck agenda. But a few months ago they also insisted the extraordinary maneuvers used to pass health care wouldn't be used. Desperate times may be seen as calling for desperate measures, and this November the election results may well make Democrats desperate.

CC