Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mokes

Airbrushing dont's.....

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

If you have never touched an airbrush before...(mokes).....and you have turned 2 nice plugs....

Don't make the 1st attempt at ever using one on those 2 nice plugs...(mokes).......because you WILL wreck them. Bad.

So.....hypothetically......if I had done this....and lets say....oh...those plugs look like the Jolly Green Giant pooped them out.......

How can I take all that paint off? redface.gifcwm31.giffrown.gif

Use yer blems for practicing or just buy dowels , spray can them white and practice on them , then just white them over and practice with the brush again........

View PostIf you have never touched an airbrush before...(mokes).....and you have turned 2 nice plugs....

Don't make the 1st attempt at ever using one on those 2 nice plugs...(mokes).......because you WILL wreck them. Bad.

So.....hypothetically......if I had done this....and lets say....oh...those plugs look like the Jolly Green Giant pooped them out.......

How can I take all that paint off? redface.gifcwm31.giffrown.gif

It should be fairly thin layers, so let the paint dry and just sand down to your primer.

I did this about two weeks ago, I got my new Iwata eclipse and was woo hoo, in the end it was poo poo. my nice first ever plugs got butchered because I was a dumb ass and thought "how hard could airbrushing really be?" I just painted over them and it was all good, repainted them, no problems.

I feel your pain,

Mike

View PostIt should be fairly thin layers, so let the paint dry and just sand down to your primer.

View PostIn times like this, black paint is your friend. It will cover any screw up and make it look like you meant to paint it black wink.gif

Jigman

Both good suggestions IMHO. If you still don't like the results you can always get your safety glasses - nitrile gloves - paint stripper - tooth brush - start over.

After having to strip numerous screw ups I now keep about a half dozen sanded and primed dowels and old proto lure bodies to test out each new paint scheme.

But also remember - "an ounce of experience is worth more than a ton of advice!" - now you know one more thing "for sure"...

View PostIf you are using acrylic paint and screw up, you can usually wash the paint off with warm water if you get it before it dries. Don't ask me how I know that! headscratch.gif

Bingo ... Been there and done that. wink.gif

Is Createx a paint I have to thin? Seems kinda thick? No idea what I thin it with?

Said "illustrator" on the bottle, but I AC Moores doesn't carry it.....

View PostIs Createx a paint I have to thin? Seems kinda thick? No idea what I thin it with?

Said "illustrator" on the bottle, but I AC Moores doesn't carry it.....

You shouldn't have to, but I've noticed that if one color sits around too long, it does thicken.

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...d.php?t=502632

View PostWill Createx wash off?
As mentioned - it will wash off before it dries completely.

View PostIs Createx a paint I have to thin? Seems kinda thick? No idea what I thin it with?

Said "illustrator" on the bottle, but I AC Moore's doesn't carry it.....

AC Moore and the likes sell "Liquidtex Airbrush Medium"

I have used it on some of the createx paint. I sometimes add a few drops per small 2 oz bottles. A lot also depends on the air pressure you are using - some practice will dictate what is comfortable for you. I practiced on big white sheets of paper for awhile to get the hang of it and to work on how tight or wide you want your paint to come out. I'm by no means as talented as some of the folks on here - but would recommend practicing your airbrushing on some paper first and then some dowels etc. I even kept some plugs I turned that was unhappy with - only to practice painting on.

from Their website:

Airbrush Medium:

Liquitex Airbrush Medium is specifically formulated for thinning acrylic colors for airbrush application. Mixing colors with Airbrush Medium will ensure that the colors do not lose their flexibility, durability and adhesion.

Attributes

• Low viscosity.

• Pre-mixed blend of acrylic polymer emulsion, water, retarder and Flow-Aid.

• Ready to use pre-filtered and pre-reduced to the proper consistency for airbrush technique. Add as much or as little as desired.

• Formulated for thinning acrylic colors for airbrush application.

• Ensures colors do not lose flexibility, durability and adhesion.

• Easily thins acrylic or any water-soluble paints to a sprayable consistency.

• Allows thinned acrylic paint to be sprayed efficiently and retain paint film integrity.

• Liquitex Airbrush Medium mixes easily with all Liquitex Soft Body Concentrated Artist Colors to produce airbrush paint with the proper viscosity for airbrushing.

• Can also be mixed with Liquitex Heavy Body Artist Colors.

• Can be mixed with all Liquitex paint, mediums and gesso.

I'm a newbie painter here but some things I've learned are.

I usually thin Createx paint to help flow better.

Createx can be wiped off with a wet towel but that can remove the under layers of paint unless they are clear coat sealed.

I always test my colors I blended together to make different shades by spraying onto a sanded and primed 1" dowel rod. Then clear coat to save them.

As for screw ups while painting you can clear between coats with Rustoleum clear enamel to seal in what you want or to seal the under coats and cover up so you can paint over a mistake or wipe it off with a wet paper towel.

And maybe a helpful hint. Keep a journal of how many drops of which colors you mixed together to get a custom color and even spray a spot on a note book page with notes so you can reference it later to copy the color again. Just my 2cents.