Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
captainnofish

Nose grommets on a pencil poppers

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

IS there a way to get the grommet to sit flush aganist the slanted head of a pencil popper. I've tryed many ways, and the only thing I could see working is to cut the grommet on an angle. I'm I missing something? Thanks Edkooky.gif

I made a grommetizer for my pencil popper nose grommets. I'll try to post pictures of it in a bit. Basically its a piece of metal I drilled a 5/32" hole in at a about a 45* angle I put my grommet in there thread the through wire through that and line up the line tie with the angle then I take a pry bar put it over the grommet and hit it with a hammer. Primitive but the results work for me. Read about it on here after doing some search's. I'll post a step by step in a few.

View PostDrill a shallow hole that will fit the outside diameter of the gromment. Insert into that and it will sit flush.

Jigman

Mine tend to get sucked into the wood also as I wrap. I'm trying to control my hulk-like strength....it's an uphill battle...redface.gif

View PostMine tend to get sucked into the wood also as I wrap. I'm trying to control my hulk-like strength....it's an uphill battle...redface.gif

Mine too but when I step the nose hole so the grommet sits flush, that doesn't happen.

Well here ya go, heres my nose "grommetizer"(forgot who came up with that term) it's just a egr bracket off a ford ranger any flat piece of steel will do. Drill a 5/32" hole at the angle you cut the nose on your pencils through the steel. plop your nose grommet in the hole,slide the through wire through that, grab your trusty pry bar rest it on top of the grommet with the line tie from the wire in between the fork, smack the bar a few times with a hammer. Should sit flush now. Hope this helps someone. This is'nt my idea, found it one day doing a search now i can't seem to find it.works like a charm

Measure the distance that the front taper covers. Before cutting the taper drill a hole in the nose that is big enough to hold the OD of the nose grommet. Then cut the taper. Now you have a through hole with a "counterbore" that allows the nose grommet to sit "flat".

View PostDrill a shallow hole that will fit the outside diameter of the gromment. Insert into that and it will sit flush.

Jigman

A 1/4 inch fostner works for this.

If yer makin' pencil POPPERS as opposed to pencil (what I call) slappers, the cup in the head is drilled before the slant is cut, thus you have a flat surface that's no different than any other plug...AND you get the added popping sound and trowing of water on the retrieve which can't be done with a flat slant cut off pencil..."slapper"