Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NoExpert

Keeping your catch

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

If you're planning on keeping a fish, do you normally haul around a large cooler to put your catch in? When I freshwater fish, I can easily take a smallish cooler around with me as I move around the shoreline of where I'm fishing (no boat). I always give 'em an icki stick and put 'em on ice right away.

If I catch a few saltwater beasts this week that are keepers, I'd like to do the same thing. Only problem is that I'll probably need to bring a much larger, not nearly as portable cooler. Not a big fan of that idea since I like to move around.

So what do you do when you catch a keeper? Do you have the cooler back at the vehicle and just run up there with your catch and then go back to fishing? If I caught one, I'd like to think there's more where that came from, so I'd hate to leave the spot just to put one on ice. But I want to take good care of my catch.

headscratch.gif

I never carry a cooler. I put the bass in the back of the truck and get a cooler when I get home, yet again this probably isn't the most reasonable solution and I have only kept one fish!

-Vinny

Bleed your one fish and bury them in the weeds/cool sand if they are eating size 28-35 inch or so. Get him on some ice as soon as you can, but they aren't going to go bad if you get them on ice within an hour or two depending on temp.

If they are larger than 35 inch throw them back to breed. shaky.gif

View Post

If they are larger than 35 inch throw them back to breed. shaky.gif

Good Point! I will never keep a fish above 35" unless it is 50 or 60lbs+ for mounting purposes. Kept one above that size recently and they really do not taste as good frown.gif

Well, not so sure I'll be catching any striper. Probably bluefish, spanish, red drum. If I catch anything at all! I'll be in southern North Carolina next week, and it will be pretty blistering hot.

I carry a fish basket that I bought from basspro for only less than 10 dol. it is 30 in deep and 18in wide i believe... if the fish is too big, i just use fish line like old school.

Depends on how much beach you plan to cover. With the heat down there it would not be a bad idea to carry a cooler with you with some ice packs at minimum.

Extrasport waterproof kayak backpack. It's a dry bag as well. I frequently get asked about mine when I carry it. Furthermore: no one will know if you were skunked or whipped from catching.

Bear in mind that in many states, it's illegal to fillet some fish--including striped bass and fluke--until you get to your place of residence. You can gut and bleed a bass, though.

There are exceptions to the no-fillet rule for party and charter boats. But not for private boats.

I ussually just pack it in once I get a keeper that I want to eat. Nothing better then getting a fish on the grill, in the pan, or in the oven within an hour of catching it!

I've experimented with coolers, bleeding them out, and stringers but a fresh fish beats all.

View PostI ussually just pack it in once I get a keeper that I want to eat. Nothing better then getting a fish on the grill, in the pan, or in the oven within an hour of catching it!

I've experimented with coolers, bleeding them out, and stringers but a fresh fish beats all.

Sounds like good advice. If I go night fishing, everyone will awake to the smell of fried fish...at 3 a.m. tongue.gif

u can make a fish stringer and keep the fish in the water.If I keep a fish I will bleed it right away and keep it on a stringer.I keep heavy garbge bags in the truck to put the fish in and cut it in the house.

View Postu can make a fish stringer and keep the fish in the water.If I keep a fish I will bleed it right away and keep it on a stringer.I keep heavy garbge bags in the truck to put the fish in and cut it in the house.

You can't keep a live bass on a stringer in NY.

I understand you mentioned stringing one after you bled it.

Chris

View PostYou can't keep a live bass on a stringer in NY.

I understand you mentioned stringing one after you bled it.

Chris

Same in Mass. Law is there to prevent people from culling their catch... keeping a bass alive so that you can release it if you catch a larger one.