Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Basto

Triton Mark 1, old gold

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

These reels appeared about 30 years ago, and they contain everything I like in a conventional reel.

The mark 1 has a narrow, fully machined one piece frame and spool.

The reel is recommended for 12 to 30 pound line, and will not allow 10 pound line to get behind the spool...the tolerances are that good.

Not common 30 years ago.

The reel has a stainless main and pinion gear and the ratio is 4:1.

It has 2 ball bearings and one bush. I have replaced the bush with a bearing, so it runs extra smooth now.

This reel is a forerunner to the Calcuttas, and gladly, it does not have a one way roller bearing, but does have a spring on the anti reverse dog, a system that I personally prefer.

It also has 2 centrifugal brake weights.

For me, Shimano got everything right with this reel.

Thanks for reading this.

Basto

View PostYeah it's a nice machine. The oblong spool release looks like it is made of metal with a polymer insert/core.

That's just a camera illusion. It's an upside down "U" shaped metal release much like the 7000 sized ABU reels.

View PostThese reels appeared about 30 years ago, and they contain everything I like in a conventional reel.

The mark 1 has a narrow, fully machined one piece frame and spool.

The reel is recommended for 12 to 30 pound line, and will not allow 10 pound line to get behind the spool...the tolerances are that good.

Not common 30 years ago.

The reel has a stainless main and pinion gear and the ratio is 4:1.

It has 2 ball bearings and one bush. I have replaced the bush with a bearing, so it runs extra smooth now.

This reel is a forerunner to the Calcuttas, and gladly, it does not have a one way roller bearing, but does have a spring on the anti reverse dog, a system that I personally prefer.

It also has 2 centrifugal brake weights.

For me, Shimano got everything right with this reel.

Thanks for reading this.

Basto

Shimano should consider bringing that reel backicon14.gif

...especially if they can produce a high speed and a lower speed version... but, I may be dreaming with that one...

I agree. Also, the Shimano Speedmaster IV is a similar reel with full stainless steel gears, but has a carbon (graphite frame). Mine is around 23 years old and still serves me well.

View Posthighfive.gif I thought you'd like that reel my friend. beers.gif

They should have continued making them. One of the better offerings from Shimano.

Hi Bob

I got home 2 weeks ago to unpack the reel. A friend was collecting my mail.

Everything I expected it to be and got a handle fitted pronto after pulling it down and cleaning everything.

All the best to you and yours.

Basto

View Posti hate when companies make an incredible flawless reel and then stop production

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif You ain't the only one.mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

It's neither difficult nor inordinately expensive to manufacture a "perfect" reel.