Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

Got my Mojo back. Kudos to Red Top!

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I'm back in business after only a few days.

It had to be tough for Tom, the new owner. He'd just passed papers on the place but a few short hours earlier. Walks in to see his new baby, and there I am, standing there with a broken rod.redface.gif A rod he had nothing to do with, but is now his problem.

Tom and the crew looked behind every tree, and turned over every rock, and he came up with just what I was looking for.clapping.gif A special thanks to Greg for driving to pick it up.clapping.gif

It's encouraging to see the new owner is maintaining the same high standards set by Liz and Don.icon14.gif

This sort of post kinda makes me want to drive down and buy a new rod. Not that I didn't want to before, but now it just seems like the right thing to do!

Congrats on recovering your mojo Bob. biggrin.gif

View Post"and he came up with just what I was looking for" cwm13.gifheadscratch.gif and what might that be? Please tell.

I'm thinking a Lami SS a size up from the one he broke considering the above post but i may be wrong.

View PostI'm thinking a Lami SS a size up from the one he broke considering the above post but i may be wrong.

Nope--the 10-1/2' 2-6 Mojo. Unfortunately it didn't have good Mojo with the fish last night wink.gif

Mine survived a nasty spill on the rocks--freaking humidity--they never dry and are as slick as snot.

The new 2-6 Mojo is a very impressive rod, and it will eventually work out fine for mewink.gif , but it's going to take some getting used to. It loads much differently that the lighter 3/4-4oz. The lighter 3/4-4 was killer for me on the end stage of a tide, as the current slows, which in turn dictates lighter jigs. It was great putting on 1.5- 2oz jigs, and booming a huge cast out into the cooler portions of the canal where the fish were now beginning to congregate in preperation for a move. The 2-6 still handles lighter jig very well though. icon14.gif

It throws 3-4 oz jig effortlessly though.wink.gif I did miss a lot of fish last night simply b/c the 2-6 is much stiffer, and less forgiving and I believe I was setting up too fast. The softer tip of the 3/4-4 had better hook up ratios.

But, it's all in getting used to it. Just like playing baseball with a 32oz bat all your life and suddenly switching to a 42oz and expecting the same bat speed to be there.

Frankly, I was going to buy it anyway. So now I have to look around and wait for the 3/4-4 to be available again.

View PostI'm back in business after only a few days.

It had to be tough for Tom, the new owner. He'd just passed papers on the place but a few short hours earlier. Walks in to see his new baby, and there I am, standing there with a broken rod.redface.gif A rod he had nothing to do with, but is now his problem.

Tom and the crew looked behind every tree, and turned over every rock, and he came up with just what I was looking for.clapping.gif A special thanks to Greg for driving to pick it up.clapping.gif

It's encouraging to see the new owner is maintaining the same high standards set by Liz and Don.icon14.gif

Hey Bob,

this may be a stupid question but I didn't buy my mojo's from redtop but do you think that if I paid extra for the their warranty, that they would give me the same as if I were to buy from them? My rods are working flawlessly (knocking on some thick wood) but as unfortunately found out, fishing gear just doesn't last forever. I just wouldn't want to send my rod over to stcroix and wait 2-3 week if not longer to get it back if something were to happen. Did they give you a new rod or just the piece that broke off?

View PostHey Bob,

this may be a stupid question but I didn't buy my mojo's from redtop but do you think that if I paid extra for the their warranty, that they would give me the same as if I were to buy from them? My rods are working flawlessly (knocking on some thick wood) but as unfortunately found out, fishing gear just doesn't last forever. I just wouldn't want to send my rod over to stcroix and wait 2-3 week if not longer to get it back if something were to happen. Did they give you a new rod or just the piece that broke off?

I don't understand what you mean when you say "paid extra for their warranty?" I never paid for any additional warranty.confused.gif I bought the rod during their annual spring sale, and paid just a bit over $200 for it. They act as agents for St Croix, meaning if you buy the rod from them, they give you a new one, eat the broken one, and return it to St Croix for a credit.

BTW, they gave me an entire new rod. NOT just replaced the broken piece.

View PostThe new 2-6 Mojo is a very impressive rod, and it will eventually work out fine for mewink.gif , but it's going to take some getting used to. It loads much differently that the lighter 3/4-4oz. The lighter 3/4-4 was killer for me on the end stage of a tide, as the current slows, which in turn dictates lighter jigs. It was great putting on 1.5- 2oz jigs, and booming a huge cast out into the cooler portions of the canal where the fish were now beginning to congregate in preperation for a move. The 2-6 still handles lighter jig very well though. icon14.gif

It throws 3-4 oz jig effortlessly thought.wink.gif I did miss a lot of fish last night simply b/c the 2-6 is much stiffer, and less forgiving and I believe I was setting up too fast. The softer tip of the 3/4-4 had better hook up ratios.

But, it's all in getting used to it. Just like playing baseball with a 32oz bat all your life and suddenly switching to a 42oz and expecting the same bat speed to be there.

Frankly, I was going to buy it anyway. So now I have to look around and wait for the 3/4-4 to be available again.

I'm glad to here your impressions that loading the 2 to 6 oz takes some getting used to.

I feel the same way but thought it was just my inexperience, I'm used to a much faster action.

Slowly getting used to it but I think as of right now, field casting 3 oz's, I could put a beating on my Mojo with my Airwave.

In my case I think it's the operator , time will tell.