Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cornus

ID help, not sure what this is..

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

My son caught this today. He was fishing for scup, with squid. It was caught from shore in Fairhaven, MA. It was about 10inches long. Anyone know what this is? I have been fishing and snorkeling alot in this area and have never seen one of these.

View Postbe careful, they will cut you open quick cwm31.gif

LOL, 1st thing I thought of was that. I was thinking mantis shrimp, but have never seen one. I had a reef aquarium and have heard about them getting in tanks by hitching rides on live rock.

So I removed him from the hook with needle nose pliers, it was hooked thru one of his claws/arms. I for some reason thought these were tropical.

Thanks for the info

Also delicious if one can procure enough of them. Had a dinner featuring them as well as some strange ground fish at a seaside restaurant in China a few years back. That's where I learned the proper way to get to the tail meat is to first remove all of the ventral swimmerets before trying to pry the shell off - it does not come of easily unless you do this.

I'd love to catch a couple of dozen or more of them, think they have a method in Australia . . . or maybe it's in Florida - if only I could remember . . . .

Reaux

Mantis Shrimp actually hit things with their claws so hard that the temperature that is produced from friction on impact is almost as hot as the sun!!

-Vinny

View PostMantis Shrimp actually hit things with their claws so hard that the temperature that is produced from friction on impact is almost as hot as the sun!!

-Vinny

I thought it was that they have razor sharp "claws" and when they "hit" the shock wave stuns their prey.

If what you say is true that is freaking nuts!

View PostLast year I was at beach littered with them. Not sure why but there where thousands of the out of the water.

Bass like to dine on them---maybe they were driven onto the shore wink.gif

View PostThey are cool creatures. I believe the speed of their strike is equal to that of a .22 caliber round.

I think that idea is a little closer to correct than the thermonuclear heat theory.

I saw one on film killing a crab that tried to come near its burrow in the bottom. it stuck its head out and smashed the crab on the head with its... appendage, whatever that thing it.