Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wilkesiii

Flukeing GULP

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I see some threads on here but i cant seem to find all answers.

Ive been doing pretty well on gulp sand eel on teaser and both squid and spearing on the bucktail on the bottom. I am tired of using real bait and want to go full gulp. What do you reccomend switching the bottom bucktail with? Is there anything that resembles a spearing?

View PostTry using a Gulp! 3" or 4" curly tail

thumb3%2520inch%2520minnow%2520grub.jpg

thats what I was thinking. should i get the squid too or is it not needed? what color do you think I should get in those? Chart?

View Postthats what I was thinking. should i get the squid too or is it not needed? what color do you think I should get in those? Chart?

Squid isn't necessary. Its better to bring it and not use it than....

As far as color, some days hot pink is better than white and vice versa. However, I have a sweet tooth for the chart. smile.gif

View PostI've been killing the shorts on a simple rig with 2 3/8 Jig heads with chartruese gulp. The 2 jigheads are about 12-18" apart.

i use the same rig and wouldnt switch. Sometimes 3/8 and sometimes 1/2 oz. My rig is basicly a dropper loop tied into 30# leader 4 inches from the main line. I then cut the dropper at the knot to create a smaller teaser type leader. I tie a snap and keep it short. Short being only a 3 inch teaser leader.

At the end of the main leader I tie on another snap. What I prefer to do is tie the leader direct to the mainline and eliminate a swivel. This makes for a nice neat rig. With the elimination of the swivel, it reduces the amount of seaweed i pick up.

I also use gotcha type hig heads with the thin diameter hook. My reason is if I get hung up its easier to replace the jig head with a bent hook then the entire leader. I didnt think that hook would be strong enough but I have yet to straigten a hook on any keeper size fluke.

As far as Gulp, I only use 4 inch swimming mullet in white pink and chart. Mostly white and chart but will switch to pink if it seems to be the preferred color of the moment.

I have many ways to do it but right now i just take a long piece of 20 pound flouro, and 1/4 down from the top i just make a dropper with a relatively large loop, snug it tight and then clip 1/4 from the main line.I then tie on two different jigs and ALWAYS use a rapala loop knot instead of a clip for better action.The new penny color kills them down here with the curly tail grub finding favor from most.

I've had very good success with a white over pink bucktail with a chart mullet on the bottom and a single hook on a 36 in leader tied about 8 inches above with a 4 inch new penny color shrimp. I have outfished guys with bait the last 6 times we went out and they have become believers and switched over.

John Skinner has a You Tube Video of his fluke rig. The vid shows him with his son and daughter on LI sound knocking down keeper sized fluke with 1/2 - 3/4oz Spro bucktails combined with 3 inch minnow gulp. He likes white but also uses chart. He's boat fishing and matching the bucktail size with the drift conditions and water depth. Good stuff!!!!

I don't have the link, but it's easy to find on youtube by searching bucktail or john skinner.

Skinner also has a book - A Season On The Edge - Stories From A Surfcaster's Year. Entertaining and, for us rookies, educational. Highly Recommended !!!