Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rthomas

Skin or not to skin???

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

personally, i leave it on. see no real advantage to skinning them... last time out the fluke were much more interested in gulp than squid though!

..not to skin your whole squid f/ fluke. you should peel off the front fins and that will take the skin off entire squid. it has nothing to do with color. an old sharpie told me the fins make the bait SPINcwm31.gif , and that your presentation will b all effed up. also, make sure you are using a hand tied tandem rig with 2/0 or 3/0 octopus hooks. big hooks turn off the flukey. one hook at the tip, and the other through the bottom of the body, prefferably sticking out or protruding to aid in hook set, if you bury the bottom hook in the bait, bye bye flukey.

When you feel the tap, free spool for a bit and let the fish start to get it down, you are not worried about gut hooking a short when fishing whole cali. once you lock after 10-30 second free spool, i know people who wait longer, just feel the weight of the fish by lifting slighty, when you feel weight, drop the rod tip down to the water, giving said flukey a last chew up, and then cross its eyes, and do not let up pressure.

good luck hopw this helps.biggrin.gif

....r good too, frozen or fresh. u just need the right rig(tandem), this will drag the snapper along the bottom, not spin it.