Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JEA508

Assateague Fly Fishing

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. This is my first post on these forums and I have a few questions for anyone with some answers! smile.gif

First off my name is Justin and I have been coming down to Assateague Island State Park for the lat 6 years. My wife has been coming with her family for over 18+years!

I usualy do a lot of surf fishing and I go to the rt 50 bridge in OC to do some fishing there too. What I am more interested is fly fishing in the area. I am an avid trout fisherman and have tied flies for many years. What my question is for you all is: Where do I go to catch some fish on my fly rod? I would prefer to catch fish that I am not used to like saltwater fish or some brackish waters. I wouldn't mind any suggestions tho for some fresh water trout fishing. What kind of flies are used? Since I have a trout outfit I would assume fishing on the surf would just not work. I would love to fish some of the bay areas right by Assateague you know like where everyone searches for clams. I have used a throw net in that area and got some pretty cool things. I honestly dont mind if they are LARGE fish. Anyone have any techniques or some pointers? I dont mind traveling up to about 30-45 min away from the state park for some good fishing either. I will continue my search on GOOGLE but if anyone has any insight, drop me a line here! Thanks everyone in advance, I think im going to enjoy these forums!

Stinky Beach is a good spot to give the fly a shot. We fish therfe when we come down that way. It is right across from the 50 bridge. It5 has a long name but most know it as Stinky Beach. You can wade it but be careful, a deep drop off is near the shore. IO fish it with a sinking line and clousers and decievers. Had shad and small stripers there this year. It can be tuff to park if many people are there. I have walked down to the opening to the marina and fished there also.

Rick

Thanks Tarpon1

Thats for the input Tarpon1 however from my experience there are a lot of people in the area and I am not sure that I would have enough room to walk around and cast a fly but I will definitely give it a shot!

Anywhere is that you know of? Any bay or back water wading? I am going to have to search google maps and see if I can come up with anything. Again thanks!

Anyone else?

You might be able to wade the backside of AI out to within casting distance of the channel. There's a country mile of knee deep water. I've seen some rays and snapper blues out there.

Try stinky beach at first light. Less people, better fishing.

View PostYou might be able to wade the backside of AI out to within casting distance of the channel. There's a country mile of knee deep water. I've seen some rays and snapper blues out there.

Try stinky beach at first light. Less people, better fishing.

Thanks John,

Anywhere to get flies down there? OR should I get them before I leave? I noticed the Salisbury fly shop has been closed. Thanks again!

is a good spot for flounder, and it has some shallows and a deep drop. Any fish in the bay can be caught there at times. The above posters are right. That place will be one of the busiest in OC mid-day, but there is plenty of room prior to 7 a.m. and after twilight. These would be you optimum times for most species other than flounder, anyway. That whole stretch of beach is fishable, but for the fly targets (trout, blues, stripers) you should try the end of the beach nearest the rocks. There is 40 feet of water just past the drop off there, and you will be able to see a large eddy formed from the water funneling in with the tides. As for flies, look in the water. You should be able to see whatever bait the fish are feeding off of, and just the other day by boat the flounder were picking off strays from large schools of peanut bunker.

You need a bigger rod, most use a 9wt for the surf. I like to park in the Md. AI. lot and walk north towards OC. inlet once you get away from the crowds you will have lots of beach to yourself. Surf candies, clousers and decievers would be my choices for the summertime and maybe some flatwings in the fall when the rock move back down the coast. Good luck!!