Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lv2huntandfish

Reel Recomnedation anyone?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

I have $80.00 to spend of a striper reel. It will be going on my 7" medium action Local Hooker Rod. The one I have on there is really starting to bite the dust. Bought my dad a pen for his rod but it seems to twist the line. Not a fan of it.

View PostPenn Sargus. I haven't noticed any line twist or problems. It's a workhorse.

I agree. I owned a sargus until it got run over by my buddys truck frown.gif . Best reel I have ever owned. No line twist, smooth drag, and a work horse all metal body. I miss it ever time I fish. With that said I will be investing in a new one very soon.

View PostI agree. I owned a sargus until it got run over by my buddys truck frown.gif . Best reel I have ever owned. No line twist, smooth drag, and a work horse all metal body. I miss it ever time I fish. With that said I will be investing in a new one very soon.

where can I get one? I would rather not buy online. If anyone knows where I can get one please say so. Looks like a sweet reel!

One more for the spheros. Very good reel for the money. Won't survive long if it's dunked often, but no reel in that price range will. As long as you don't dunk it, it should perform well for you.

A dissenting viewpoint. . .I'm a big fan of Shimano reels. You could pick up a Sahara for under $80, and it'll feel better out-of-the-box than any Penn.

The drag on a Penn tends to take out a chunk of line at a time, whereas Shimano's seems smoother to me. They tend to get significantly less smooth over time, but so do Penn (and all other) reels. The tight construction of Shimano seems to keep salt and grit out of the internal works better than any other reel I've found.

That said, your reel choice depends a lot on what you're doing with it. If you plan on being hard on your gear, go with a Penn, absolutely.

Will this reel be dunked in salt water and not washed off at the end of the night? Drop your reel on the beach when you hook into a nice fish? Just don't feel like babying precision gear? Go with the Penn.

If you take care of your gear, I think the $80 range on a Shimano is far more satisfactory than Penn.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. Im either going with the sargus or sahara. They are both in my price range. I would save for another reel but my current one is toast and I need to get fishing again! Probably gonna go with the Sahara because I know Kittery has them and I need more sluggos and hooks. Once again great info clapping.gif ...glad I signed up over here

2nd on the Shimano Sahara $80 and very reliable. I have fished 2 in the salt since 2003 and they both work fantastically. Rinsed them after most uses but not all and they have held up great. Plus they are very smooth and have good drags. Just my 2cents.