Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
redrock

maine first timer

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Im a diehard red drum fisherman and im going on a family vacation to Eastport mn. Ive managed to get a couple of days to striper fish and id like any pointers . thnx

I've never fished that area for Stripers, I'm sure there are fish up around there. Maybe someone who fishes the area will chime in and help you out.

Your catch up there would be mainly mackerel, pollock, and herring, throw in some dogfish and an occasional cod. For around $20 you can go out on the Quoddy Dam out of Eastport which may satisfy your fishing urge or jig for mackerel/herring/pollock off the breakwater. It is the ocean and maybe you will see a Striped Bass so I don't want to discourage you but I have gone there since I was a kid and have never caught one, seen one, or heard anyone say they had seen or caught one. Back in the day you could catch some flounder but I haven't seen them lately either.

let me ask this. If i were driving to Maine, where would be a good place to stop for a couple days and surf fish for some huge stripers? Im coming from north carolina.

View Postlet me ask this. If i were driving to Maine, where would be a good place to stop for a couple days and surf fish for some huge stripers? Im coming from north carolina.

Cape Cod.

View PostCape Cod.

CC? Not right now it isn't, unless you are talking later in the fall.

Now and thru the next several weeks the southern Maine coast, portland ME to the merrimac river maybe your best chance from shore. But be aware this is not like shooting fish in a barrel, live or chunk bait will increase your odds, but your odds are not very good without local knowlewdge thats fairly tightlipped. By the way a keeper in Maine is one fish over 40 inches or 1 fish between 20 and 26 inches per day.

Good luck

yeah , stripers dont show up down here till mid or late fall. My fishin buddies and i have never fished for them specifically. I was kinda wanting to get an edge on them for this fall.