Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thaistick

Worm Hatch

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Neeed a fly thats will crack th code any one? heres what I toss @ em 1-small gurglers,tiny streamers.small shrimp pattern, tiny clousers, small popers, then went to my fresh water arsenal I had sumthing that resmbeled th san juan worm but think it was too short had th right color tho may b need to get th san juan worm. confused.gif

Cinder worm fly is one of the easiest paterns to tie. Size 1 stainless hook, 1 inch red marabou tail, red estaz up the shank for the body and a bit of peacock hurl (hurl) for the head of about 1/8 inch. Whip finish and a dab of head cement.

Ta Da. Deadly when there are cinder worms in the water and stripers are feeding on them.

View PostCinder worm fly is one of the easiest paterns to tie. Size 1 stainless hook, 1 inch red marabou tail, red estaz up the shank for the body and a bit of peacock hurl (hurl) for the head of about 1/8 inch. Whip finish and a dab of head cement.

Ta Da. Deadly when there are cinder worms in the water and stripers are feeding on them.

What Spigola said.

The marabou taiil gives you length and movement. And you can cut it to size too. When I was worm fly tying I tied the flies over full and then tore out marabou fibers on the water to match the worms. Very easy to adjust that way.

By the way, I just go with a marabou body. Tie in the marabou tail. Then palmer the butts of the marabou up to the head. Dub a dark head with dubbing, black marabou, or the herl.

If your Cinder worms are anything remotely close to our Palolo Worm down here in FL. I have an outstanding pattern for you that you might be able to adjust accordingly. Do they look like this......

View PostIf your Cinder worms are anything remotely close to our Palolo Worm down here in FL. I have an outstanding pattern for you that you might be able to adjust accordingly. Do they look like this......

yes alittle shorter

Some look like that while other have a dark green tip and head with a creamy tan middle. Some all reddish pink and other sort of dark so any patter like yours will work, fine tuning should catch fish.

I tied up some worm flys earlier in the year for fishing the worm hatches in RI. I didn't time my trip right b/c the worms didn't show but the fly I tied up looked great in the water.

Basically a red woolly bugger but with a 1-2" of red hackle for a tail and a small about of peacock hurle palmered around the head to give it the small black head. Really looked good in the water.

It may be that it's not a fly that you need to crack the code, but rather a presentation of that fly. Sometimes that is what makes all the difference. :-)

I've used J. Kenny Abraham's basic pattern for years. Just a 1/4 tuft of 1 1/2" of Fl. orange egg yarn with a whisp of chartreuse egg yarn on top. I tie em on a #1 EC 254. (Keep it sparse.) Simple , cheap, durable and works.