Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HanoverStriper

Barnstable Harbor

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I posted this a while back, but it's coming up quickly. Staying on Barnstable harbor the first week of August with the family. Right on the water near the marina where the whale watch boats go out, and looking across to Sandy Neck. I think I'll be armed with the appropriate baits (mostly smaller stuff), but had a few other questions. I plan on packing some bombers, ava's, needles (some stubby), slug-go's, smaller bucktails, pencils, small metal lip swimmers, and other assorted tins. I will have access to a yak, and plan to take advantage, but would not call myself a strong yaker.

1. Any other must have's to throw in the bag?

2. Should I be thinking of heading left or right in the yak?

3. Should I bring waders to wear in the yak? (I know there are a lot of sandbars out there)

4. Should I expect all blues?

Thanks for any feedback. Steve

View Posteels.. Our Favorite Thing

Yeah, I may grab some at the bait shop in the marina, but not sure I'll be comfortable enough out there in the yak at night. Don't know the water well enough, but I may give it a shot.

bill hurly sand eels... sluggos are pretty good too, so you're probably all set..

but what you really need is the mighty TUBE n WORM!!!! a mid-summer staple!

View Postbill hurly sand eels... sluggos are pretty good too, so you're probably all set..

but what you really need is the mighty TUBE n WORM!!!! a mid-summer staple!

I actually bought a rod holder for the yak (even though it's not mine), so I should be able to do some trolling. Good thought on the T+W, thanks!

Live eels early am, any tide has worked for me. If the tide is going out, take a left out of the channel (pvc pipes) and about 50' off the marsh, drift right. If the tide is coming in, take a right and drift left. Wish I could go with you man, remember slow retrieve...

Keep in mind....some big stick boats as well as a lobster boat or two leave that harbour before daybreak......if your in a yak and playing around the channel, keep a big flashlight handy!!........wink.gifsmile.gif

Barnstable harbor is pretty warm in august. I don't think you need the waders if you don't mind getting a little wet. Plus if you are umfamiliar with the bars in low light conditions the waders could be trouble. There are many spots to fish there just check out google earth and look for structure. Good luck

Thanks for the feedback guys. Eels early am I can do. That's when the majority of my fishing will be done.

I remember a lot of boat traffic, so I won't be playing around in the channel when it's dark.

I've looked at both Bing and Goog and there are too many good looking areas, which is certainly a good thing.

7" unweighted sluggos or hogy's worked slowly through the troughs on the bars on the outgoing. Look for dark troughs with grass patches. Pink or white will work. Stubby needles are also worth throwing. Not sure when you're going exactly but a high outgoing near first light can be excellent!

View Post7" unweighted sluggos or hogy's worked slowly through the troughs on the bars on the outgoing. Look for dark troughs with grass patches. Pink or white will work. Stubby needles are also worth throwing. Not sure when you're going exactly but a high outgoing near first light can be excellent!

Thanks man. Plenty of white and pink unweighted sluggos going with me, so that's good to know. Don't know if I'll get out at night at all, so first light will probably be the majority of my fishing. Thanks again.

Steve,

I will be on Cape for most, if not all, of that week. Get in touch with me, and we'll hit a few of my favorite Northside UDLswink.gif I'm not too excited about the tides that week, but it will work out.

Dennis

View PostSteve,

I will be on Cape for most, if not all, of that week. Get in touch with me, and we'll hit a few of my favorite Northside UDLswink.gif I'm not too excited about the tides that week, but it will work out.

Dennis

Cool Dennis. I'll shoot you a PM with my info.

I would work the pot line that sits in about 30-35 feet of water in your yak. Tube n' worm and live eels. If you get luck you may bag a REAL nice fish.

We picked up a 43 pounder on a live eel just inside the pot line last year. It was saweeet! biggrin.gif