Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fox

Lets talk about preventing dehydration

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Drink plenty of water before you go out and drink certain amount at least every hour. When you feel thirst, drink... this is pretty much the best way to prevent dehydration... do not wear any thick material (this will lead to heat exhaustion, which is worst than dehyration). When you are dehydrated so much and you think that you are about to die, don't suddenly drink ice cold water...this can cause certain things...

1) Dehydration. (1st stage of every heat injury)

2) Heat cramp (you don't get sweat at all with severe thirst)

3) Heat Exhaustion (sweating seriously alot...sweating so much, dizziness)

4) Heat Stroke (you don't want this... we had couple students who were in JROTC raider team practice with full ACU(Army combat uniform) and boots on had heat stroke...good thing was all the cadets in raider team were trainined to perform first aid)

If someone has heat cramp, tell him or her to rest little bit and give him or her cool water (not cold water, cool water)

If someone has heat exhaustion, same method as heat cramp and pour some water on victim's head and a body. try to loosen up the jewls, watches, or anything that is too tight to body.

If someone has heat stroke, which is one of the most severe heat injury, bring victim under the tree shade or somewhere away from the sun. Take the clothes off from victim and start to fan the victim. if the victim is conscious, give him or her sips of water. Again, if there is any tight jewl, watches, or anything, take them off. Pour some water on victim

The important thing is DO NOT POUR ICE COLD WATER ON VICTIM. This can cause Cardiac Arrest!!!

By the time you feel thirsty, your already somewhat dehydrated. So take a few sips every 10 minutes, more if its hot out, and you'll be fine. I find that a flavored drink often makes people want to drink more often, and thus keeping up with how much they should be drinking. Watered down gatorade is my choice.

View Postdrink water.

Brilliant wink.gif........no seriously..........or at least something WITHOUT sugar, artificial sweeteners, or corn syrup (and other than water or seltzer, there isn't much out there that fits that bill). And a bit of salt is good as well.

View Post.........or at least something WITHOUT sugar, artificial sweeteners, or corn syrup (and other than water or seltzer, there isn't much out there that fits that bill).

Steve,

I understand corn syrup/sugar.........but why no artificial sweetener (splenda) ??

I often use the "Propel" packets mixed into a bottle of water and figured I was one step better than plain water. Propel is in the same vain as Gatorade with some added vitamins and ingredients to help with dehydration.......just no sugar.

Just curious why artificial sweeteners are a no no.

Thanks.

I think what Fox is looking for is something to drink warm and stay hydrated (He is in Mexico). When I went there, we didn''t carry a cooler and the drinks get warm. I sweat so much surf fishing that even while drinking a bunch ... I was a the initial stages of sehydration. I do not like Gatorade ... what I did was Wyler's sells these individual packest of flavoring (lemonade, iced tea ...), I would use 1/2 of a packet per quart (much diluted). Drink when you think ... not when you need. Keep in mind the bottled water there tastes a bit off ... you need to add something.

Pedialyte which is generally given to children is an excellent electrolyte replacement...lower in sugar than most of the other drinks...

in general keep drinking water til the urine is clear...

View PostSteve,

I understand corn syrup/sugar.........but why no artificial sweetener (splenda) ??

I often use the "Propel" packets mixed into a bottle of water and figured I was one step better than plain water. Propel is in the same vain as Gatorade with some added vitamins and ingredients to help with dehydration.......just no sugar.

Just curious why artificial sweeteners are a no no.

Thanks.

Sugars and sweetners only make you more thirsty (why do you think most all products have it in them....> Cause they want you to drink more, and thus they sell more.)

That and they actually pull water out of your body.

And I suppose some of it is because I despise sweets, whether it be sugar or artificial, so I suppose my opinion could be viewed as being biased. Never got why people need sugar/sweets to make things taste good, but I guess that is just me.

Electrolyte added drinks are good (thus my mention of salt above), but the problem is that 99% of them are also sweetened.

Don't overlook the importance of sugar. First you need to know the cause of dehydration; ie diarrhea induced dehydration is a bit different from sweat induced. Either way, glucose is terribly important in the absorption of sodium (one electrolyte lost in both, but worse with diarrhea) and thus water in the gut. But too much sugar will actually slow the speed at which it leaves the stomach.

cwm15.gifcwm15.gif

peoples biggest mistake is to think you can hydrate by drinking a lot right before an outing....not true and not useful. Hydration should begin days before expected ecxurtion

For all day trips, even 1/2 day trips I know pack a water filtration system.

Doesn't take much more space than a 16-20 0z bottle. And gives you endless supply of clean drinking water.

Good ones cost $50-$200 well worth it .

View PostI have always liked iced tea, hydrating and it tastes good.

Unless you are drinking caffeine free iced tea, it's not hydrating. The caffeine makes if a diuretic. I also prefer a nice glass of iced tea on a hot day, but I wouldn't count on caffeinated tea (or coffee) to ward off dehydration.

From my fishing Mexico web page:

Gatorade and other sport drinks like it are ideal for hydrating over long periods of time. They replace the electrolytes (salts) that get flushed out of your system when consuming a lot of water. Most importantly, they have some energy producing carbohydrates (sugars) in a WEAK solution (5-7%). Water is adsorbed by the body in the small intestine. If the carbohydrate concentration of the liquid is too high, the stomach will think it is food and retain it there. We want the water to pass quickly through the stomach and get to the small intestine.

Poor mans Gatorade can be made with soda pop (non-diet) that is diluted 50/50 with water and a very small pinch of salt. You can also use Kool-aid in 1/2 strength concentrations (with a very small pinch of salt). Research has shown the type of sugar (sucrose, fructose, etc.) makes no difference.

Sports drinks are only beneficial to those doing significant sweating and physical efforts over long periods of time. Beware though, some very high sugar content drinks are being marketed as "sports drinks". Choose drinks containing 5-7% cabohydrate levels. - HPD