Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassMe

Reel for St Croix Avid Surf 10' Rod?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I currently have this rod with a shimano baitrunner 4500B but am looking for a reel thats better for casting plugs, assortment of crankbaits, poppers, pencils, etc... nothing massive. any color is appreciated. want to try and stay around $150 and new. do you think that rod even works with a reel meant for anything other than chunking or live lining? looking through old posts as well to see what i can turn up.

thanks as always

What is the lure weight range on the rod?

What is the Baitrunner not doing that you'd like another reel to do? I frequently plug with a BTR - its a very versatile reel and I can't think of anything you're going to get out of any other reel in the same price range that's going to make it a significantly better reel for throwing lures.

let me preface by saying im new to the fishing community as of a couple years ago but am only recently (last summer) "diving in" and trying to understand all the gear combos, baits and importance of tides and wind, etc. lure range is 3/4 - 4 oz. so sounds like ur suggestion is to sit tight rather than blow the money on something thats basically going to get me to the same place with my current set up.

View Postlet me preface by saying im new to the fishing community as of a couple years ago but am only recently (last summer) "diving in" and trying to understand all the gear combos, baits and importance of tides and wind, etc. lure range is 3/4 - 4 oz. so sounds like ur suggestion is to sit tight rather than blow the money on something thats basically going to get me to the same place with my current set up.

Yes. A lure range of 3/4 to 4 pretty much covers you for throwing lures and there's nothing wrong with using the Baitrunner for that. The only thing I would add is that if you were using the reel for fishing bait and have it spooled with monofilament, you should probably pick up a spare spool and fill it with 30 to 50# braid for plugging - you'll get a lot more out of it that way.

i grabbed the rod/reel from my bro-in-law who stopped fishing. not sure how long the current line has been on there, or the kind, but its def not braid. i've personally only used power pro but was looking for an excuse to give suffix or fireline a try to help with the wind knots. might have just found my reason. thanks for the color. very helpful.

oh its definitely been on there over a year and the line has a real high memory. last time out it was all over the place. am heading out tomorrow after work so will try to grab some before then.

like EBHarvey said the Baitrunner is a great reel, I've used them bait fishing plenty of times. I've personally never plugged with one so I can't comment on that, but I'd recommend a Stradic in the 4000 or 5000 range for the surf. I still use the original and it hasn't given me a problem. They go for about $179, and worth every penny.

Spheros 6000

-or- Saragosa if you have the $, lot of the other Shimanos are not saltwater reels; guess it depends on how close you get to the water, and dunk range splash range kinda stuff

i just got a penn 650 ssm spinfisher and i really like it. i also am very new im trying to break into the lure thing my self. Most my time was spent in fresh water or throwing chunk. so its a big change, well in my opinion it is.

View PostSpheros 6000

-or- Saragosa if you have the $, lot of the other Shimanos are not saltwater reels; guess it depends on how close you get to the water, and dunk range splash range kinda stuff

Saragosa another awsome reel, its a little north of the $150 range, but its a solid reel. I've used various Shimanos in the salt, surf and boat, even with a dunk or two, rinsing them after a couple trips and oiling them I've never had any serious troubles. The Stradic in my opinion is an absolute work horse