Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flounderhooked21

How do you fillet your Fluke?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I like to cut a long line down the middle of the Fluke and I get 2 fillets from each side. How do YOU GUYS fillet your tasty, keeper Fluke?

-Flounderhooked21

Only time I get fluke is when I am in Hatteras, but I fillet them same as winter flounder.

First cut is diagonal just behind the front fin, as shown on the red line, just down to the bone, leaving head attached..

Second cut, have the sharp edge of the blade facing toward you, and run the point just under the skin from head to tail along the dorsel fin following the red line...

When you get near the tail in the area of the red line shown below, pivot the blade towards the tail and a bit downward, and cut along the spine toward the tail....525

Come back with the knife, and with the blade facing away from you. Slide it along the ribcage from the head toward the tail working toward the center, peeling the flesh back away from you adn away from the bones as you go. Go only as far as the red line shown below, leaving the fillet attached....

Flip the fish over, and repeat the above steps on the other side.

Then, push back the part of the fillet that is closest to you and loose, turn your knife downward along the bones on the bottom side of the fish (far side of the spine bone), and continue slicing against the lower ribcage bones, coming out at the red line shown below. The fillet is now free from the frame.

Flip the fish back over and repeat the last step on the other side....

You get two perfect fillets, and a fish frame that you can see thru.....smile.gif. Trim off the belly flap from the fillet if desired, but I don't bother, I just clean up any left-over dorsel and belly fin bones.

Also, I used to skin the fillets, but I don't anymore. I just scale the dark side skin......and the white side skin doesn't really have any scales, but I run the knife over it as if I was scaling it anyway. I find that pan fried, the skin gets crunchy and quite tasty....smile.gif

This is how a fluke should be fileted. You don't have to go as fast, in fact it's better that you TAKE YOUR TIME doing it first few times. The most important part of the video is @ the beginning.

SHARP KNIFE! 8 or 9in Dexter Russell (wood handle) is what you want.

"> lWBa7CHP9Bg

View PostThis is how a fluke should be fileted. You don't have to go as fast, in fact it's better that you TAKE YOUR TIME doing it first few times. The most important part of the video is @ the beginning.

SHARP KNIFE! 8 or 9in Dexter Russell (wood handle) is what you want.

"> lWBa7CHP9Bg

The video is more or less was what I tried to explain......I just do it a bit more carefully......icon14.gif

Just about every type of fish I fillet gets done the same way.

Only difference from what I do and what the video shows is that I only go to the spine on each side at first. I find leaving the fillet intact and doing the other side before you totally remove the first side makes making those first two cuts on the flip side easier and neater.

View Postthree cuts one behind the head white side first then run the blade down the spine and slice out then other side i can do a fluke in about 2 minutes

Just to clarify.....what are you considering the "spine"........when I mention the "spine", I am talking about the bone that runs down the center of the fish, shown in the area of the red line here:

attachment.php?attachmentid=376022&d=127

About 30 yrs ago, I saw a guy fillet 140 fluke.........the fastest I've ever see. He made a cut just below the gill plate and removed the side fins off also. Then made a small cut in the skin near the gill plate. Grabbed the skin with a pliers and pulled. The skin came off one side then he did the other. Then he just removed the meat with his fillet knife like it was butter.....clean and fast.

I make the typical diagonal cut near the head and then another across the base of the tail. Then slide a long slender knife up the spine in the tail cut towards the head. Slice to the right to separate the meat from the rack. Flip the meat over the spine and remove the other side. This way you have one big fillet per side instead of two.