Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MightyMouse

Angler's role in imparting action... a couple of gems!

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I've enjoyed reading up on techniques for making the most out of retrieves with plugs... and these have even helped me get bettercwm27.gifredface.gifredface.gifredface.gif

I was re-reading some stuff I've saved from some plugging heroes and was wondering if you guys had any thoughts about dannies, darters, or even bottle plugs...

hope you enjoy some classic postsicon14.gif

Working Minnow Plugs: bassmaster

I will start out with a Hard plastic

Bombers Yozurie and Mega's ect....

Well You can cast and reel them in Yes....

But If you toss it out and reel fast then stop and then retrieve You may get slammed By a Bass.

REASON , once that plug Hits the water , If there is a Bss with in 20 feet of it there on top of it, And if its just sittin there. They MAY NOT TAKE IT...

Once You start Your retrieve. Jig the plug.

It makes noise and imparts action to the plug.

Allso..... reel fast then stop twitch and start again.... Make the most out of the cast. You will notice Better Numbers of Bass taken...

A few ways I reel are , As I reel' I drop the rod 2" and reel at the same time. It gives the plug action and gets the rattle thing going...

A steady retrieve with a snap in the rod By about 8" Usually works good to.

If Your Plugging and some one is hooking up on eels. Do this.....

Toss it out and let it sit in current then reel slow as to keep the Bomber ,ect. near the top and Give it that slow wiggle...

( I would go to Rubber or needle) But this is about Bombers

also , If You drop Your rod tip down to the sand and side sweep The rod, It gets the plug to dig a little deeper and that little pause and as You reel foward to sweep again, gives a different retrieve speed

Some times I will Toss out a bomber and shake the rod Barely Keeping tension on the Line. then reel and change up...

If You get a hit or Bump. reel fast for 1 or 2 feet and then twitch as You reel in...

And when that plug is in the last curl on the surf Dont Yank it out.. You may get slammed there........

Dave> )))'>~~~~~~~

Working Pikies: winch, bassmaster, bigwater

Winch-Okay Brian I'll see if I can answer it for you. When using a pikie there is a lot more deception work being used. The idea on a pikie is to keep the plug on the surface through the whole cast trying to imitate a wounded baitfish. So to speak easy prey. The plug worked in this fashion sends out vibrations that make stripers feel it's an easy meal. The slow enticing wiggle when working properly the stripers just can't leave it alone. Think about a cat and its hunting instinct No matter if a cat has eaten it can't stop itself from jumping on a slow moving string that is wiggled in front of it. Also a pikie is a big fish attractor! Big fish love that sexy wiggle, roll and sideways movement of easy prey! Think of a stunned baitfish trying to move away from danger. It moves slowing on the surface unaware of its surroundings. This is what a pikie imitates.

Another attraction of using a pikie is the challenge of getting a slob of a fish to come up and try and destroy a pikie right at your feet. Something about a thirty-pounder ten feet in front of you coming from deep to first follow, then make passes and finally grab and turn on your pikie. Not only will this get your heart pumping it will in fact change your whole perspective on what is the most exciting part of striper fishing. No longer will the fight be as important to you or how many you catch. In fact you may not even care about hooking them. The action of a fish coming up on a plug and not pulling the plug away from him is such an adrenaline rush. Going toe to toe with a slug will drive you crazy.

On the comparison between a needle and a pikie? Well needles have not been used out here in the West Mike and I are probably the only two that are using them right now. In fact I fish a needle a lot different than you. I don't just reel slow I use it more like a popper in rough water. This method has been effective for me so far.

So since I have been fishing both pikies and pencil poppers for over thirty years I'll compare those two. Each plug in my mind has a specific purpose used to generate better fish numbers. When I fish a spot blind I'll use a pikie first. A pikie is a close in range plug usually thrown first at a spot. I probe the nooks and crannies, looking for that big loner bass that is waiting in the rocks or drop-off to ambush prey. A popper is a long-range plug I usually throw it second to probe over deeper water trying to raise a cruising fish.

Now if fish are actively feeding or I have been successful with a popper a spot probably hit it with a popper first. But then at times if fish are busting on bait and are in range I will throw a pikie. Again big bass are always looking for that easy meal and will find that plug because of its action.

On other metal lips, Most are designed for underwater use so they are harder to work than a pikie, The construction of a pikie seems able to withstand the pounding that this type of fishing puts on plugs. Some of my pikies are thirty years old and still swim awesome! On the westcoast we didn't have the selection of metal swimmers that you guys did in the seventies. Thankfully Creek Chub took care of us and we stuck to them. I also so use Mike Fixters pikes for the last 15 or so years. To me they are a pikie. One of the reasons that I came on line was to find Eastcoast swimmers that might work here. So far I have gotten a few from the plug builders here on this site. I have caught fish on Slipknots pikie but have not put the others to the test. My search goes on need to find some beachmasters and leftys to see how they will do here.

My biggest dream is to come back east and try my tactics on your coast. I hope this helps Brian if you have any other questions please ask. I will try and answer them for you. Oops just got a call, Rumor of fish got to go throw a pikie!

Bassmaster- I toss pikes in nasty surf and as I keep the pike on top twitching it and making its Butt come up and variate its retrieve ,all on top standing back High up on the sand, the fish will bash it right at the edge. as waves give and pull ,I give the plug a faster or slow retieve depending on weather the plug is being pulled by the wave or just in the slack so to speek of in the wave, Whats Pissa is when they hit it when its in the curl of a 3'wave and come out of the wave and cartwheel at night if thay are hitting slow retrieve or bumping the needle I go to pike and it works.

I found that pikes work awsome in day light and in spring they go nuts over them and when bunker is around they work..

There is an art to working a Pike and variating the action on it, further more If You love top water with poppers, 1 fish on a pike will ruin You.

on the hit, usually violent the fish either comes from behind or from the side ,I wait for rod to load from fish Before setting hook, If I get a swirl a miss ect I rip the plug to make ot pop and this usually works..

smooth water is good for pikes at night and I also have had them hit in snotty water to...

bassmaster- Mouse , its knowing what they want man (bass) and being smart.

Take a pike, ever see a herring on bunker on top it sits and then moves slow and stops, A pike can do this excellant . you can also work the pike real slow and do short snaps on the rod and ret the tail to do the deth dance just like a herring or pogie bitin the dust.

stock danny , hhmm want it on top with a nice wiggle yet a gibbs or another danny type rolls out or has to much roll in it (hence solid colors better)

thats where building your own come into play I like mine on top and not that overbearing roll.

want it to dive retune or jump to a surfster. its all about tuning into the bass and knowing what to do when and where that will lead to sucess>

hope this helps.

P.S. it sucks useing 1 plug all year to figure out how when and where but the tweaks are rewarding when You lay the fish on the sand

winch- Okay enough goofing.

I'll spill, but please don't hold it against me. I took a beating in the west coast forum lately and not sure my fragile psyche (Did someone say Psyche???) can handle it this soon.

First off Pikies were as was stated built to be an underwater swimmer many times trolled. Which on the east coast in the past was considered the proper way to fish them. From what I have been told.

On the west coast, well they didn't come with instructions and with some tinkering the pioneering west coasters began to work them with a slow crawl surface wag. This tactic was known a "S" waking or snaking the tail. The bill would be bent down to keep the plug up and with the slow reel the tail would stick up and travel on a Slurpee S track. This was a deadly tactic in good water conditions but with surf conditions out west rarely being calm the tactic could get lost. During this time when I was young I fished with some of these early pioneers and their kids. I'm not sure how exactly the rod movement got started but I will say we younger kids that had problems controlling the slow "S" reel started to slightly pop are rod tips to give the plug more movement. With success came more refinement and as stewie says the dance of death came out of this.

As years have passed in my totally disturbed mind I have tried to push this tactic further in it's development. My thought was that like a cat you can trigger a striper's predatory instinct's by making a plug look like easy prey.

What Stewie saw on that breach way was my own way of fishing a pikie. Other fisherman (like bassmaster) have taken the same plug and have formed their idea as the perfect way to fish a pikie and like with any plug if you have confidence in your tactics it will do better for you than someone who doesn't trust what they are doing with the plug.

So my thought is that a pikie is a plug used to imitate a bait fish under stress. Be it fleeing, swimming slow, or doing the death dance. All will trigger a stripers predatory needs

bigwater- For the last two year all I have made and fished is a Pike (Pikie). I picked the pike because to me it is a very versatile plug. If that is all I am fishing I am fishing it in a lot of different conditions, and if I want to catch fish I need it to perform in those condition. I have not been disappointed. I make mine where they will swim slow on top with good action. If I am fishing in big waves, as a big wave approaches, I can swim my pike down 3 to 5 feet let the wave go by and float it back up. It swims great in rough water, and will not roll over and pop out. I have also had good luck in the last wave before shore. It gets caught in the undertow and end up swimming in place. The bass like that, easy picking for those strong swimmers. The one place I have had some trouble with my pikes is in a breachway with a strong current. As I have said my pike have good action at slow speed so in the breachway with a strong current they swim to fast for my liking. I have been toying with a heavier pike with a slower action. Fishing one plug has allowed me to really learn that plug.

Before fishing the pikes, my experience with the danny plug was to fish it slow on top at night in calm conditions, that was the only time I brought it out. The surfsters that I have tried had good action on top, but I could not get them to swim down. I have not had a lot of experience with them.

Needlefish, bassmaster

Bassmaster- Brian,,,,,

You need 3 needle types,,,

a floater, that plunks down in water for calmer nights and slower water.

a fast sinker for when its nasty and big surf,fast water

a slow sinker for working a little deep or in fast water....

then there is sizes,,

I go from 10" down to a 4" needle some times.

On the pikes they do some thing a danny cant do, like stick is arse outa the water, when worked like a herring on top, Ya know slow then a little flutter then slow, thats what these do...

I even catch seagulls on them.

they look like a herring on top. I have a few pikes that actually You can here slosh through the water.

there is a sweet spot to tuning these and I will tune to the tide by minor adjustments..

a pike I gave Flaptail caught Him a 40.6 lb bass and Im only in My low 30s on mine

On the needles 40lbs (not this Year,I suck)

But large eat them.

I got a lefty lure and have cloned it down to the hanger system and sealed it like the way that plug is made, only Mine is made out of alskan Yellow cedar..

I painted it 2 times tonight

its now black and silver with gold around the eyes, But may strip it and do a wondbread color ???

anyway Im curious as to how it will swim..

the bob hans have a nice action but the pikes blow any plug I have swimmed away so far...

bassmaster- A needle is a basic lure, It makes a wake.

But there are times when You have to use a needle different, As in Heavy water You would want a large needle the pushes water,

A fast sinker, it will come up top in moving water....

some times the bass will want them sub surface to, with a twitch here and there...

for Now for the most Part let Yac about needles in regular surf conditions...

A stubby is a great one to work just under the water and on top..

One thing I do is either add a porkrind to the tail hook(Hi Slip) to give it action..

Or You can add a colorado blade th the end with a ball bearing swivel. Was Killer last Year. (I need to Make More,But now Im tossing needles with a prop on the front and they are hookin Me up)

There are 3 types of needles Ya should have.

One that plunks down in water and floats.

This is good for calm water...

One that sinks, fow windy and heavy water and when the bass wont hit on top...

and one that is weighted to verticle float

(for gettin it out there)

Its also good for the twitch and doubles as a pencle popper at dusk

For colors Black is tops and Ya cant loose on that color...

then from there You can go to colors say a Yellow In say a bay or in Half Moon building, Heck even in the new Moon, What do I know..........

Black and purple is killer here and a white or a silver black back is awsome....

Black and pink is awsome to.

You Guys should know by now I turn My own wood, so If I blab sorry..

the white stubby is a good sand eel imitation as is the larger needle....

A good size for a needle is from the stubby to 10" at times, for the most part I would say 8 or 9" is the Magic Numbah...

In slow water Your sinking needle will have to be retrieved faster, But May get You more strikes, If not then jump to a slow sinker or floater and reel slow and twitch here and there.

NOW IF YA GET BUMPS> )))'>

after the Hit.... reel 2 or 3 feet fast, then slow it down again, find out how they want it. Most times You will nail the Bass this way or on the next cast.

When You feel weight set the hook.....

some nights they will come up behind plug and hit it, Most hits come that way, Hence "The Bump"

when they Hit from the side its usually always a set fish.

I run needles with a treble in the rear of the plug. and when its Stupid out there I run with a siwash in the back.

Dark green was an awsome color, Forest green rustolium ,,,

Just a change in color will put out.

and dont forget Parrot on the new moon and on the full moon.

so Get say 3 to 5 Big needles and the same on the stubbie's and cycle through them.

Note If You are tossin plastic and they Hit it slow, Jump to a needle and they should go right at it and go up in size...

Dave

I remember this post when it was originally posted I think. Seems like ages ago... Know when the original post date was? I also saved it for future reference but lost it over the years. I've been here much longer than my 1000 posts under this name FTR. wink.gif

View PostI've enjoyed reading up on techniques for making the most out of retrieves with plugs... and these have even helped me get bettercwm27.gifredface.gifredface.gifredface.gif

I was re-reading some stuff I've saved from some plugging heroes and was wondering if you guys had any thoughts about dannies, darters, or even bottle plugs...

View PostSomebody else who does stuff with a bomber. icon14.gif I think you sent the slow, slower, slower yet crowd scurrying D. cwm27.gif

Well, there are some people who do damn well with it, so it works... it just doesn't work nearly as well for meredface.gifredface.gifredface.gifcwm27.gif

View PostI remember this post when it was originally posted I think. Seems like ages ago... Know when the original post date was? I also saved it for future reference but lost it over the years. I've been here much longer than my 1000 posts under this name FTR. wink.gif

Oh man, I'm not sure... it took me a while to dig those up in a search, so I cut and pasted them into a word document... maybe 2004?headscratch.gif

There are some really, really good how-to posts by awesome john... bucktails was one area specifically that I remember... I also remember something about his Giant Kong shark rig he's used in the Mediterranean and here on the east coast... I think it's a chicken literally stuffed with bunker, drifted out with the tide on a special rig... pretty cool stuffbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

View Post

Oh man, I'm not sure... it took me a while to dig those up in a search, so I cut and pasted them into a word document... maybe 2004?headscratch.gif

There are some really, really good how-to posts by awesome john... bucktails was one area specifically that I remember... I also remember something about his Giant Kong shark rig he's used in the Mediterranean and here on the east coast... I think it's a chicken literally stuffed with bunker, drifted out with the tide on a special rig... pretty cool stuffbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I've learned a lot from both of their posts. Can't thank AJ enough for bringing the D-Blue rods to my attention, either.

The BassMaster posts - I was curious and searched - I dated some of it back to June 2002. eek.gif

View PostI've learned a lot from both of their posts. Can't thank AJ enough for bringing the D-Blue rods to my attention, either.

The BassMaster posts - I was curious and searched - I dated some of it back to June 2002. eek.gif

Some of those gems I found completely by accident... kinda like this thread while I was searching for something else entirelycwm27.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gif

The "how about a how-to-fish..." thread:

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...t=System+epoxy