Wind

Rate this topic

Freedom

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that this spring has been excessively windy.

I have had to cancel 3 trips so far in the last 3 weeks due to 15 to 25 mph winds out of the NW. It ruined the fishing again this morning.

Freedom, yessir, it's been windy! You can always count on that screamin' NW wind after a band of thunderstorms blows through like last night. I'm sure it was gusting to 30kt's last night...but we still fished with the fly rods. It's sometimes a matter of being flexible with where you are planning to fish. The place we fished, the screaming NW wind had a clean shot at us, miles of open water and then right in our faces! To cope, we fished a different rip than we had been doing, one the would allow us to cast to the SW...in that case, the NW wind actually gave your cast a little boost instead of shutting us down. The hassle was the waves inside the bay...we were getting clobbered from the side by 2 foot rollers! Yea, we didn't score anything more than some lil fellas, but had the fish been there, we'd have made due, our casts were effective and once the line was underwater, the wind had little effect on it.

I'd rather a light wind from behind me anytime I'm fly fishing, but even when it's nasty, we'll just try to cope by rethinking our strategy and finding an angle or a place where the wind won't shut us down. Yea, it might not be the place you had in mind, but at least you'll be able to get out there and excersize that fly rod! wink.gif

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Freedom,

If you have only one place in mind that you will be fishing the wind can definitely shut you down. The key is to expand your horizons so that regardless of which way the wind is blowing you always have a place to fish with the wind working to your advantage. You should know what direction the wind is blowing from, how hard, and what is predicted to happen in the hours to come before you even set out, this way when you get where you are going you won't have any surprises. Make a mental list of which places are fishable in each wind direction. Get out there and find out. The wind should never shut you down.

Freedom,

Yes the wind gods are angry this year, it's enough to drive a guy crazy I tell ya.

Jim gives you good advice, always have more than one spot planned, even if the weather liar tells you the wind is coming from one direction, you get to the spot and it's oposite, always have a backup plan.

Tim and I know of dozens of spots to fish and the planning always starts in front of the computer before leaving the house. We will check wind direction, intensity and predictions and then decide where to fish, and then where to fish if the weather liars are wrong. biggrin.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

[This message has been edited by Dubs (edited 05-15-2000).]

Dubs

AKA: Charlie