Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
t58martin

St Croix Legend 10.5' 2- 6 oz help..

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I'm looking at a 2-6 oz Legend surf to pair up with my Avet SX MC.

I checked out the guides on the Legend, they are a much smaller diameter than any surf rod I own. I'm worried about the knot in my shock leader getting hung up.

I currently have the Avet spooled with 15# mono and use a 50# mono shocker.

I was considering going to 300 yards of 30 or 50# braid over mono undershot.

I would still like to use a 40 - 50# shock leader, but I'm worried about the small diameter of the guides....

Is anyone fishing a similar setup? If so how is it rigged? I like the overall weight of this setup if I can get it dialed in.

I guess Legend rods are designed for braided line.

Shock leader? if you go bait fishing, no need this expensive rod.

If you throw plugs, I dont know why you need shock leader.confused.gif

View PostI'm looking at a 2-6 oz Legend surf to pair up with my Avet SX MC.

I checked out the guides on the Legend, they are a much smaller diameter than any surf rod I own. I'm worried about the knot in my shock leader getting hung up.

I currently have the Avet spooled with 15# mono and use a 50# mono shocker.

I was considering going to 300 yards of 30 or 50# braid over mono undershot.

I would still like to use a 40 - 50# shock leader, but I'm worried about the small diameter of the guides....

Is anyone fishing a similar setup? If so how is it rigged? I like the overall weight of this setup if I can get it dialed in.

This rod is intended to be used for throwing lures and soaking bait...

Even with braid on my spinners that are only used for plugging, I always tie a 24-36" length of Flouro leader...this is not a shock leader..

For throwing chunks I always have used a true shock leader... 3-4 wraps around the spool + the length of my drop..

I like being able to grab the leader instead of the braid when landing a fish...

I hate to cast with only braid running through the top guide, it definitely starts to wear thin... with a leader i just cut and replace this several times during a day/night

I checked out the rod guides by bringing in a piece of running line tied to a piece of 40# mono leader, and a piece of line tied to a 20# flouro leader, neither of these knots fit through the 'tiny' guides easily.....

It seems like this rod was deigned for a set up that does not include tying on a leader of any type, except one that doesn't get wound past the top guide...

just curious how others have rigged...

The Guides on the Legend are called low rider guides. They were designed to cast father & also for using braid.

Even though they seem small either a uni to uni knot or an Alberto knot they won't hamper your cast.

Thanks flytyingguy1.... My running line to shocker knot is a double uni from the shocker to the doubled running line which has a bimini....

my knot for braid to flouro leader is a standard leader knot where there is an overhand in the flouro, and the running line is doubled and passed through the overhand to be wrapped and hitched ....

Both of these knots usually go through the guides of my current rods with barely a bump.

I've just never seen guides as small as these. Making me re-think this rig...

View PostThe Guides on the Legend are called low rider guides. They were designed to cast father & also for using braid.

I believe that is true; but the 10'6" casting and spinning rods have recommended line weights of 10 - 20lb or 12-25lb(which seems to me to be suggestive of mono) Are these line strength recommendations given with the intention of using braid?

By the way I cast 14lb mono on a legend and it works out pretty sweet.