Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DonnieT

Tolerable maximum length rod for plugging?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I've been reading lots of posts and I see plenty of people saying something that is like 13 feet long would only ever be used for bait because they simply couldn't cast plugs with it and not get tired. So what length rod is considered comfortable if you still are interested in getting distance. I have a 7 foot rod right now and would like to upgrade!

edit: I suppose your own physical stature would have an impact on what you choose but if I can get some kind of sense that would be helpful.

In certain situations where you absolutely must have distance to get fish then nothing wrong with a 13' rod , sure it will tire you faster but so will hiking 2 miles of beach or rock hopping etc . I generally plug with an 8'6" rodfor comfort but will break out the big stuff if needed . Rather be tired having caught a few fish than watch them break water out of reach.

Hi Guys-

This is only my second season surfcasting. For what it's worth, I can plug all day on my 10' Lami. I think the action has a lot to do with it. I have a really bad back, too; so technique is also a factor (for me, anyway).

the big difference between plugging and baiting comes down to the number of casts. a light mass weight rod/reel combo is just easier. rod length is dictated by the surf conditions, or lack thereof.

I've found a rod 9.5-10.5' to be the best all around compromise for throwing artificials. I have used rods up to 12-7" but the longer length can be tiring. The latest construction techniques result in light blanks but it's not just a matter of weight. The longer lengths have more resistance moving them through the air. It's really noticeable with a breeze in your face. A thinner blank would probably be preferable.

A 10' rod is best all around but when I need the distance I don't hesitate to grab the 11.5' or even longer.

the 11' AFAW Estuary w/Ti 6mm running guides.

Weight without reel is under 10oz.

Very slender but has brought in 40#bass, blues of 19lb. and big skates [like pulling a tire].

I use it for everything from fluke to bass from the beach.

When the jetties get too crowded or the surf tells me not to hop on the rocks, I use the 12' Universal to reach out.

also consider the true working length of the rod - a 9' 1-2oz surf rod with a long handle will have 8"-12" less working length than a 8.5' 1-2oz steelhead rod. i'd rather plug with the steelhead rod (and i do!).