Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mokes

Simple Lip question....

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

When I look online at my choices for lips I get kinda lost on all of it...

The Lefty/Danny/Pikie styles all seem similar and then there are spoonlips?

What and why are there so many different lips? Do they each greatly affect action?

View Post...What and why are there so many different lips? Do they each greatly affect action?

Yep. Generally, the wider the lip, the wider the wobble. Surfster lip is topwater. Others can be tuned to ride on top or dig.

Jigman

Mokes they are Z lips as in if you look at them from the side they form a Z wink.gif

I suggest you buy a sample package of multiple bills. That way you can make plugs to fit the lips. They all can be used on surface swimmers. The design you make and how you imply them will make the swim. Only lip that isn't intended as a multiple use lip is the surfster

View PostMokes they are Z lips as in if you look at them from the side they form a Z wink.gif

I suggest you buy a sample package of multiple bills. That way you can make plugs to fit the lips. They all can be used on surface swimmers. The design you make and how you imply them will make the swim. Only lip that isn't intended as a multiple use lip is the surfster

Ok. I have some Lefty2's and Danny 2's now. The Lefty lip is smaller and I have been intending to try them out for a smaller, maybe freshwater plug.

Larger Danny type plugs don't interest me much, besides the nostalgia of them. Maybe if I think dragging one behind the kayak at night would catch maybe.....

For now I am trying to stick only with plugs I will fish so I can learn what they do.

I really should try and find some Stainless and try out Skip's method to make my own lips too. I think it would serve me well to learn that for smaller plugs.

Surfsters are the bomb! (though I haven't caught on any of the ones I've made) they're just such a satisfying plug to fish... does that make sense? Slow, wobbling throb on the surface or just below... I almost don't even care I'm not catching when fishing them ... am I sick?

Look for Surfster 1.5 lips if you can... there's at least one online distrib of them.... 2's are huge and 1's are tiny (though they make a great peanut lip!)

I've purchased the same style lip (I think even the same name for it as well) from two different vendors and they were slightly different and it effected the way the plug swam cwm15.gif

Grab a sample bag with different stlyes and then try to keep everything the same other then the lip and see how it effects the way your plug swims.