Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buz23

PB last night

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Caught my longest striper ever last night, 42". This was on MV, sand beach on the north side, dead calm and oppressively humid. Fished all night, just a couple of tickles. Then at 1:00 as the tide started to come in, caught a very active 28" fish which sounded like it was jumping (no moon yet) and thought I saw a number of large boils nearby from other fish bolting. The next cast was a 29" fish, and the one after that my PB. Didn't fight right from the hookup like a 38" fish I caught the previous night, but was much more difficult to beach.

By the time I revived her, the shoal had moved on. I could hear the bass popping all night, but most of them were quite far out. I caught 3 or 4 more smaller fish in the next several hours.

The fish have been hammering schoolbus bombers, although little bait is apparent in the area. Fish seem a little slim in general.

I switched to a B16 from a B146, but removed the middle hook and traded the front hook for the larger one on the B146. I played around with the B146, B16, and B17 during the day today and think the B16 has got the better action at the speed I use at night (about 1.5 sec per crank, with a fairly small reel). I have been successful just stopping the retrieve if I get a tick, they often hit it when starting again or with a couple of twitches. I also sawed the lip off on one lure and it works really well on a calm night with a slow retrieve if the fish are active.

Those 2 sandy beaches on the north side are so much fun for light tackle fishing because you can go from catching schoolies or nothing to having schools of very quality fish move in. Can't wait to get up there in September!