Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
njrisurfcaster

Need some assistance from Cigar fans

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I'm getting married in Sept and my groomsmen all like cigars. I'm not much a fan and don't know that much about them but I'd like to give them something decent to go along with another small gift. I really don't know anything about them but I'm thinking $10-30 range maybe. What can you recommend or just tell me about picking some?

View PostI'm getting married in Sept and my groomsmen all like cigars. I'm not much a fan and don't know that much about them but I'd like to give them something decent to go along with another small gift. I really don't know anything about them but I'm thinking $10-30 range maybe. What can you recommend or just tell me about picking some?

Congratulations on getting married.highfive.gif

Congratulations.

I take a bit of a blind-sided approach that wedding cigars need either a white band or a white tube.

The descriptions are borrowed from Slippery Rock Cigars.

Carlos Toraño Virtuoso

The Virtuoso is the first ever Toraño cigar made with a sun-grown wrapper which is grown by the Toraño family. The Virtuoso is a testament to the Toraño family's Cuban heritage. Being the most full-bodied cigar in the Toraño line the filler tobacco from Honduras, Nicaragua and Panama are extremely smooth and well balanced. The Virtuoso's dark rich body is accompanied by flavors of roasted coffee, cocoa and a touch of peppery spice.

Montecristo White

With its rich history and reputation Montecristo has become the standard by which all other cigars are judged. Now, to complement our original Montecristo, we've created the new Montecristo White. Reminiscent of the original, the Montecristo White boasts a lovely, hand selected Ecuadorian Connecticut Shade wrapper. With a Nicaraguan binder and a blend of select Dominican and Nicaraguan long fillers, the White makes for a rich and satisfying well rounded smoke.

Dunhill

Every Dunhill Aged Dominican cigar are created using tobacco from one specific crop from a special selection of Piloto Cubano and Olor tobaccos grown in the Dominican Republic's fertile Cibao Valley. After being wrapped in a Dominican binder, the cigars are encased in only the finest quality USA-Connecticut shade-grown leaves making these cigars an elegant smoke.

Last year I received a cigar flask as a groomsman gift. While it looks like a regular flask, there is a small compartment that opens from the top with room for two cigars of approximately 48x5.5 size. It's not something I would have bought for myself but it's something I'll enjoy using.

I don't think I would give lighters as a gift because some prefer matches, splints, soft-flame lighters, or torch lighters.

I agree with John M. A lighter or cutter will last longer than a couple of cigars, and will remind the groomsmen of your wedding day when they use it. I recommend the fiberglass bodied Xikar Xi2 cigar cutter. They retail for about $35, and will last almost forever. While picking out the cutters, you might want to spring for a decent box of cigars to be handed around at the reception.

View PostI agree with John M. A lighter or cutter will last longer than a couple of cigars, and will remind the groomsmen of your wedding day when they use it. I recommend the fiberglass bodied Xikar Xi2 cigar cutter. They retail for about $35, and will last almost forever. While picking out the cutters, you might want to spring for a decent box of cigars to be handed around at the reception.

exactly.....the nice cutters and lighters ive gotten over the years were at weddings.

I take russes point but there are different kinds of lighters, cutters etc.......just give something that lasts more than an hour. Buya good box share them around. I never heard anyone say....manI hate this kinda cutter or lighter......its always been appreciated that ive seen.

Good idea John with the lighters, probably can get them engraved. Congrats on getting married NJRISC.

John BTW I have some cool shots of the Art Museum and Boat House Road I'm gonna post one of these days. Could use your help with IDing them.

View PostI never heard anyone say....manI hate this kinda cutter or lighter......its always been appreciated that ive seen.

Valid point. Everyone needs more than one type of cutter and lighter. While I prefer a Palio over a Xikar Xi2 I wouldn't turn down one as a gift. And the more I think about it, everyone should have at least one decent torch lighter.

View PostEngraved lighter is solid choice. Make sure it's a butane model, not a lighter fluid model.

Congrats

+1

say no to fluid

the engraved lighter w/ cutter is good.

Cigar: If you can find Arturo Fuente Opus X ... Great!

Ashton VSG

Rocky Patel

Padron

Lots of good non-cuban cigars out there. Just stay away from flavored crap like Lars Teton or Drew Estatesupck.gif

(Drew Estates does produce a real cigar, but most of their stock is flavored for "hipster" taste)