Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ghilie

First Batch of Teasers

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Recently i thought i'd try my hand at some teasers...

I had never tied anything previous to this not even a freshwater fly.

My question for anyone who ties teasers out there (Especially the Commercial BST guys), What is your opinion on these? Enough hair? To much? Not enough? ANY feedback is welcome!

Only two of them are on siwash hooks, it was easier to learn on the normal straight shank, but i just started tied on the siwash (2 in the upper left hand corner)

Thanks, ethan.

You'd get more replies in the Fly Tying Forum but since you posted here I'll give you my honest opinion.

The top midde one is the best one. Try to use a little less bucktail & try to make your heads smaller.

Very nice for a 1st attempt.

You have some really talented guys tying on SOL.

Their imput is invaluable and much appreciated. I have learned so much.

I like em and think they will catch fish. The ones I have tied are not as refined as yours and they work out good and catch. I'm still learning too.

Good luck.

View PostYou'd get more replies in the Fly Tying Forum but since you posted here I'll give you my honest opinion.

The top midde one is the best one. Try to use a little less bucktail & try to make your heads smaller.

he's a big showoff, but he knows his stuff, take his words as wisdom highfive.gif i picked up a bunch from him

View PostYou'd get more replies in the Fly Tying Forum but since you posted here I'll give you my honest opinion.

Thanks everyone for the imput

Flytyingguy, do you add all the bucktail all at once or add it slowly as you wrap?

View PostThanks everyone for the imput

Flytyingguy, do you add all the bucktail all at once or add it slowly as you wrap?

A Little at a time.

1st you want to wrap the hook shank with thread. This give's the material you are using a foundation to help the material hold tight.

I tie little clumps of material at a time & work around the hook.

Also when tying 2 different colors remember the lighter color is always on the bottom.

Try to use less thread on the head. If you are worried about the material pulling out,you can always put a dab of head cement on the material after you add on more material.

After you finish the head apply a few coats of Sally Hanson Hard As Nails to get a nice finished head.

Keep up the good work & remember the more you tie the better you will get.

The 2nd pic is tied with Saddle Hackle which are tied on VMC open eye hooks so you can attatch to your plugs. biggrin.gif

That is a very good job, your a natural. I agree with every thing said, smaller head little less hair etc... Try I like the 140 size thread it doesn't build up as fast.

I suspect you have raided the sewing kit with these. lol That's how I started when I was a kid all the neighbors cats and dogs had patches of hair missing too.

View PostA Little at a time.

1st you want to wrap the hook shank with thread. This give's the material you are using a foundation to help the material hold tight.

Also when tying 2 different colors remember the lighter color is always on the bottom.

Try to use less thread on the head. If you are worried about the material pulling out,you can always put a dab of head cement on the material after you add on more material.

After you finish the head apply a few coats of Sally Hanson Hard As Nails to get a nice finished head.

The 2nd pic is tied with Saddle Hackle which are tied on VMC open eye hooks so you can attatch to your plugs. biggrin.gif

That looks familiar wink.gif. Ghile, very nice for your first try. Mine, was more of a disaster than Valdez.

View PostA Little at a time.

WOW.....what is the 1st teaser?? That is beautiful!! drool.gif

View PostWOW.....what is the 1st teaser?? That is beautiful!! drool.gif

In the Fly Tying industry we call it a Flat wing Fly. It can be used as a fly or a teaser.

They are tied quite long this one trying to imatate an Eel is about 10" long.

Glad you enjoy.................Ron

With a imagination there is nothing you can't imitate!

holy arse, i never saw a fluke fly.!!!whats the body made of??

Ghille, try putting the buck tail on top, then wrap 3 loose turns. then spread the buck tail around the hook. this will give a smaller head. Good starters and you will get better as it goes.