Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Outdoorscout

Help fishing Seneca Lake Upstate NY

11 posts in this topic

Hello fellow fishermen! My family and I are going on vacation to Seneca Lake for a week on July 10-17. It has been awhile I've fished fresh water. Please, I need some advice on what lures to use.

I believe the fish species in the lake are small mouth, trout, blue gills etc.

I would like to target smallies and blue gills for my small nieces and son.

Any Advice would be greatly appreciated. Oh, I will be fishing from shore most of the time.

Thanks,

Rudy

Fish the docks! I see fish all the time hanging out under the docks. Its usually easier fishing so itd be better for the kids, especially if theyre seeking bluegills. I do some dive work every once in awhile and i cant tell you how many times ill see fish just chillen under the dock, not just little fish either, theres often a nice bass under there too. Ive never fished Seneca Lake, so im only speaking from experience as a resident in the region.

I grew up on the next lake over (Cayuga Lake) As a kid I could catch all the pan fish I wanted to off my grandparents dock with worms. The dock had a rock crib at the end. Released most of them and kept a couple for grandpa to clean and have grandma cook for the next days breakfast for us. Sometimes the same day. I remember on day that there seamed to be only one under there, This was years later and I had my daughter out there. She caught the same one 7 times before he gave up on the worms. As for the bass, most of the time we used homemade jigs with natural deer tail or in the evening we used hula poppers. I hope that this helps.

Not familiar with that particular lake but I've spent a some time fishing in upper state NY. Water there is generally clear. That means you need to fish deep if you want bass. Look for rock piles, points etc in 5-15' of water and fish them thoroughly. As for what lures, it's hard to beat a jig for effectiveness and ease of use ( you mentioned kids.). I'd stock jig heads in 1/8 to 1/4 oz and lay in a supply of 2-4" curly tail grubs in chartreuse, black and olive/green. If you want to fish crank baits anything that dives and is in crawdad color seems to work. Lastly , poppers will draw explosive strikes in the AM and evenings.

hth

For the kids anywhere along the shore you will be ably to catch blue gills and such, as well as some small smallies and largemouth bass.

If you are planning on boating, you have some super smallie fishing on the north side of the lake. Fish the deep grass edges with a weightless senko, drop shot, or small jigs and trailers in the 20' depth range.

The water is super clear and if they are on you can watch them take your senko on the drop!highfive.gif

Top water works very well on that lake...

Good luck!smile.gif

Hello, I am new to the area I attend Hobart college and I play lacrosse there. I come from Canada and I am a serious fishermen. I was hoping someone could help me out on where to fish from shore for lakers and browns and i heard there are some bows in here also. Maybe even meet up with a new fishing buddy that could take me out on the lake? Any information would help thanks! I have the tackle to use just not sure where to use it.

there is a nice state park on the eastern shore a few miles south from the north end. nice docks and marina. in teh right conditions we used to land (with the help of a long handle landing net) browns, bows, lakers and the occasionl landlocked atlantic salmon on spoons (little cleos) and sawbelly herring (alive or dead). as bycatch there were also pike and smallies....small jigs would get you plenty of perch.

so you must be really smart if your at Hobart right ;-)

welcome to the site, we try to avoid discussions on spots and focus more on how but its a big lake with lots of areas and plenty of spots even in that state park to fish.

the key is to figure when to fish that area :p

This is the week of 8/20 report.

Seneca Lake

Waterfleas and weed mats were less of a nuisance last week. Lake trout are hitting Spin Dr.'s and Flies, and spoons, fished 50 to 80 feet down over 120 feet of water. Vertical jigging with chartreuse plastics has also been working for lake trout in 90 to 110 feet of water.

Thanks alot for the advice, I have been trying to get out in a boat on the lake since Ive been here and it's been a tough gig. I will try that state park out this week. Do peopel fish the lake all year?