Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Belmo

Geography / Lodging Question for the Maine/NH People

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

In a few weeks, we'll be driving to Maine for the first time. We'll be leaving Philly at about 3 am on a Saturday to beat the traffic through North Jersey and Connectict. Our first stop will be in Palermo, Maine, which is about 90 minutes northeast of Portland and 30 minutes east/northeast of Augusta.

I'm asking for help because the drive from Philly to Palermo is about nine hours, and that's too long with a three year old (and nine hours isn't counting traffic). She'll sleep most of the early part of the trip, which will help, but I'm hoping we can find a good place to crash a little short of the final destination. Chill out, get something to eat, do something in the afternoon, get a good night's sleep, and then the two hour drive the next day will be a piece of cake.

So what I'm looking for is a place to stop for the night about two hours from of our final destination, which, according to Google, would be in the Portsmouth, NH area. Here are some traits that would make an ideal stop:

• Not too far (20 minutes or less) from the highway

• Something to do nearby: we'll be there for most of the day, so I don't want a flop in the middle of nowhere. Bonus points if there's stuff we can do outside. Extra bonus points if the activities are attractive to a three-year old.

• Somewhere to get something decent to eat nearby.
We don't need all of these, of course, but I put them up to give you an idea of what we're looking for.

Does anyone with knowledge of this area have any suggestions? If I get a really good tip, like a place that has five handles of Allagash on tap, I'll send a plug to the brotha who helps out.

Thanks for looking.

York Wild Animal Farm just north of Portsmouth- perfect low rent entertainment for a 3 year old. York Beach and Wells are Maine's version of the Jersey Shore. Plenty of stuff a bit north at OOB too. Get off at the Kittery Exit- bunch of motels/hotels all the way up to York ( 20 min north of Portsmouth) on Route 1. If you want to stay at a nice place, try the Stageneck Inn in York Harbor- nice beach, nice place. Lots of outlet shopping in Kittery. If you go a bit farther up Route 1 to Kennebunk to you can go to Federal Jack's- owned by Shipyard which will have Shipyard beers and Sea Dog beers and awesome chowder.

Make sure that you get off the turnpike and take 295 from Portland to Augusta (Exit 44 I believe) Alos the quicker way to Freeport if you need to make that pilgrimage- saves about 30 min and some toll money.beers.gif

Why on earth are you going to Palermo?

View PostWhy on earth are you going to Palermo?

We're sleeping in a tent on a farm, that's why! My wife did it in Poland once, and has always wanted to do it again. I figured what the hell - anything can be fun if you bring enough beer.

Thanks for the information, man - I appreciate it. This kind of stuff is just what I was looking for.

There is lots of stuff going on in kittery. It is close to both york and ogunquit. Two other places with stuff to do. All the beaches in the area are great.

Poland Maine or Poland the country?

Pretty country around Palermo- some great bass fishing and you're not too far to stripers (think Kennebec, Augusta and downstream) or the coast to my neighborhood ( Belfast, Lincolnville, Northport, Camden/Rockland).

Have fun.beers.gif

View PostPoland Maine or Poland the country?

Pretty country around Palermo- some great bass fishing and you're not too far to stripers (think Kennebec, Augusta and downstream) or the coast to my neighborhood ( Belfast, Lincolnville, Northport, Camden/Rockland).

Have fun.beers.gif

Poland the country. It's evidently an old tradition there for travelers to stay on working farms. It's going to be interesting.

And staying on the farm will be a worthwhile tradeoff - we're going to Acadia National Park for four days after the farm. I can't wait.

Thanks, guys.

View PostThere is lots of stuff going on in kittery. It is close to both york and ogunquit. Two other places with stuff to do. All the beaches in the area are great.

Change it back- we don't like your kind up here...beers.gif

View Postnothing like a day on an active farm after a summer rain

what is nice word for stench headscratch.gif

cow****...

Especially if it is a big diary farm- all the maure is stored in a lagoon, rinsed there via a slurry line. Then, if they have just hayed, bring out the honey wagon and spray it...beers.gif