Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marty mart

Pliers??

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone knows of a good plier that wont rust and will cut braid cleanly, I started with different pliers such as- rapala , bass pro and now I have the P Line pliers. The P Line pliers claim to be stainless steel but after the first outing I noticed rust on the handle , the cutter cut great for the first few days but not anymore. I am considering the Accurate pliers or even the vs pliers but the vs pliers are a longshot . Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks.

i've bent all sorts of aluminum pliers.... IMO.... NEVER BUY ALUMINUM PLIERS... no matter who makes them... i think there is 1 chinese factory making all these pliers and just slapping different names on them... they all equally suck... everything from the $50 cabelas pliers to the same design sold for over $130 with a brand name slapped on them...

only aluminum pliers that looked significantly stronger and interested me was the Offshore Twincut Pliers, which of course are now discontinued....

if on a budget, buy steel and lubricate well... or cough up the cash for titanium...

I've been using a pair of Donmor pliers for about 3 years now. They get fresh water washed about 3X per season. They have held up just fine, no rust or corrosion to be seen anywhere. Not sure what shape the cutters are in though as I hardly use them on braid (I carry kiddy scissors), but they work OK when I cut mono. I like them.

View PostGet the Brownings from BPS. Titanium coated, cuts braid with a "click" and they're heavy duty. Best bang for the buck.

icon14.gif

Couple times a mo I give them a shot of WD. They get dunked/splashed every outing. I only see the slightest bit of rust on the teeth. And that was when I first got them last yr. No rust since.

i just picked up a pair of Calcutta 9" Ultra Grip Super Pliers... and they seem great so far, and seem built to survive (but dunno about corrosion resistance yet) .... they're super heavy duty for a needle nose plier... they're coated steel.... only downside is they're a bit hefty as most steel pliers and they don't have a spring mechanism...

View Posti just picked up a pair of Calcutta 9" Ultra Grip Super Pliers... and they seem great so far, and seem built to survive (but dunno about corrosion resistance yet) .... they're super heavy duty for a needle nose plier... they're coated steel.... only downside is they're a bit hefty as most steel pliers and they don't have a spring mechanism...

Is that the gold one? And what was the price range?

View PostIs that the gold one? And what was the price range?

nah... the gold ones are aluminum... and you know my thoughts on aluminum...

the one i'm talking about has got black and yellow handles... with a silver tone coating on the exposed metal... it's damn strong... and has a good grip... i know i won't bend these working out 10/0 circle hooks from big stripers and sharks... these were $26 at local B&T in Lewes... i've seen them online for as low as $19... damn strong for the money... and supposedly corrosion resistant too... handy split ring tip makes it an impromptu lipper in a pinch with keepers... remember these are the 9" pliers....

Corrosion resistant...........that's a good one, salt water environment...Hah.

Just bought a pair of once used 7" VS Offshore Pliers on the BSTF here for $150.00.....definately my Bigdeal of the year so far.

View Postnah... the gold ones are aluminum... and you know my thoughts on aluminum...

the one i'm talking about has got black and yellow handles... with a silver tone coating on the exposed metal... it's damn strong... and has a good grip... i know i won't bend these working out 10/0 circle hooks from big stripers and sharks... these were $26 at local B&T in Lewes... i've seen them online for as low as $19... damn strong for the money... and supposedly corrosion resistant too... handy split ring tip makes it an impromptu lipper in a pinch with keepers... remember these are the 9" pliers....

Sorry to inform you they Will Rust!!

View PostJust bought a pair of once used 7" VS Offshore Pliers on the BSTF here for $150.00.....definately my Bigdeal of the year so far.

lucky son of a bi0tch clapping.gif

View PostSorry to inform you they Will Rust!!

yeah probably... but for $25 if they last me until the fall, i'm a happy camper... i'm waiting to see how well they hold up...

View Postcheck out donmar pliers

for that price i'd get the steel VS... i'm still considering getting the 7" titanium VS's