Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AndrewVT

Chest packs

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I am getting into trout fishing, and I wanted to know what you guys generally use to carry your stuff. Obviously there are fishing vests, but I am trying to keep it simple so I can concentrate more on learning the basics than fumbling through a bunch of stuff that I am carrying. I was looking at chest packs to carry 1 box of flies and some of the other essentials that I have. What do you guys think of packs like the LL Bean Kennebec chest pack, the William and Joseph Access, or the Fishpond Arroyo or San Juan? I'm leaning towards the LL Bean because it is the cheapest, has all the features, and you can't beat the warrenty. Are there any other suggestions? Thanks for the help.

Whatever chest pack you decide on, make sure you can see where you're walking. Some packs block your line of vision to the area 3 feet ahead as you walk.

Andrew I use the fishpond pack for salt water fishing. Slings over a shoulder with a belt that goes around chest. Swing it back out of the way, it stays there then bring it the front to get new fly or what ever is needed.

Check this out at a shop

I have the Simms Headwaters Sling Pack and overall I'm happy with it. The pockets and interior dividers are nice for organizing things. There are provisions for retractors on both end panels. Biggest issue thus far is the shoulder strap piece is too short for me, but I'm going to make a longer one from tubular webbing.

I looked at the Fishpond Arroyo in person. The layout and built-in features just didn't work well for me.

I use a chest pack but slide it to the side with the neck strap diagonally over my body, so it hangs to my hip or side of my lower back. when I need it, I just give a little tug and round it comes.

I got out of a vest and started using an old "possibles" sack from muzzleloader hunting... But opted to experiment with a chest pack, and got a "white river" one from Bass Pro. I was a little worried the big plastic zippers would break, but so far, it's been good (2 years I think).

The thing I like, is that it's big enough to carry enough, but small enough to prevent me from bringing a fly shop to the river!

View PostAndrew I use the fishpond pack for salt water fishing. Slings over a shoulder with a belt that goes around chest. Swing it back out of the way, it stays there then bring it the front to get new fly or what ever is needed.

Check this out at a shop

Attachment 375575

I use a similar fishpond product for long sessions on the trout stream. If I'm just making a quick trip to a specific type of water, I'll wear just a fly fishing necklace and slip a flybox and some leader and tippet into my pockets. As far as learning the basics goes: Learning to rapidly change flies and add tippet, or (indicators or weight if you need to get down and dirty) is definitely a basic and important part of streamcraft.

A tip I got a long time ago which applies to whatever you decide to get: Pack your kit when you're wearing it, and you'll end up putting things (like nippers, forceps, tippet spools, etc.) where they are accessible to you. If you pack your setup while it is sitting on the countertop, you'll find that things are not always where they ought to be.

I use chestpacks for non-trout fishing. The problem with them is once you start loading them up, you can't see your feet. I don't need to carry a lot of flies for saltwater or for FW bass fishing. But for trout, it's a different story. For trout I carry a lot of flies. It's part of the game. A chest pack would never work. I still think a traditional vest is the best thing for trout fishing. The next best thing is one of the Wood River tackle bags, which unfortunately, you can't get anymore.

View PostAndrew I use the fishpond pack for salt water fishing. Slings over a shoulder with a belt that goes around chest. Swing it back out of the way, it stays there then bring it the front to get new fly or what ever is needed.

Check this out at a shop

Attachment 375575

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I, too, use a Fishpond for trout fishing.....mine is the Waterdance model....it is outstanding and can be worn as a chest or hip/lumbar pack.

I don't like the blind spot of having it as a chest pack so it is either on my side or back....worn around the waist.

Go to a shop and check out a few and see what feels best.

You can't go wrong with Fishpond, William Joseph, Simms or Bean.

Good luck...you (or your neck from an over-laden vest) won't regret it!!!

I bought a 30 dollar chest pack from cabelas. Although it's not bulky I personally do not like having anything strapped to me. I stopped useing a vest a long time ago and the chest pack just seems to get in the way. I just throw a few small boxes into my waders or pockets and go out. I feel much more comforatable without a pack or vest. If I need to bring food and drinks for the day I might bring a back pack. To get to the point if you are just begining throw a box in your waders and go. If you find that you need a pack or vest then get one. It's best to go to a local shop and try one on to be sure you like it. Tight lines!

I don't use a chest pac. A good vest with a lot of pockets will hold more than you will ever need.

Everything fits nice & tidy in a vest. Being that trout flies are so small you can get 100's in a fly box. You can hang your net on the back ring & the extra large pocket on the back can hold your rain gear. The d clips will hold you Nipper,tools ECT

Thanks everyone for the responses, and brushfly for the PM. I am going to go to the Orvis store near me just to try on some vests and different packs and see which style I prefer. I am still leaning towards the chest pack, but might try sliding it to the side or around back and see how it feels. If I get a chest pack, it is either going to be one on sale from one of the discount camping websites, or the LL Bean because it comes with two retractors, and seems to be the most compact.